 Off-Topic / Geek / 876
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:54:04 GMT

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:05:29 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Bought a new 40 gig drive for my Linux box.  Couldn't make it be

*drool*

(old 8x drive in the Linux box, no likely the RW even though
everything else in it is fairly new (Abit BX6-2, 128mb, Celeron
300a-450)) - although it wouldn't boot off it, had to find a 98
startup disk in a drawer.

And again...

Anyway, I'd never installed RH 6.1 and man, do I HATE that
installer.  Obviously a poor attempt to look like Caldera's
idiot-proof installer, imo.  Selecting individual packages was such
a major pain in the a, err, buttocks.

I've heard about that. I haven't heard of anyone who actually liked
it.

But everything ended well.  It saw my 39gig drive just fine and even
though it took 4 hours and 5 minutes to format (checking for bad
blocks after all the screwing I had done with the drive on the
earlier install) it worked just fine.

I suppose that says something about IDE, large drives, and servers.

I don't know, maybe if I had been installing RH to use on a
workstation I would have appreciated the new installer, but this box

Probably not.

Ramble, ramble.... TCP/IP test tomorrow.  2 tests this week and I'm
MCSE.  Then I start CNE.

Stop it, you're making me jealous..

Jasper