 Off-Topic / Debate / 525
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:33:12 GMT

<snip>
Something to think about: even with proxy bidding, you will, over time,
get lower totals on winning-bids in eBay auctions if you do not bid
until the last second.

Why?

- Proxy bidding isn't perfect.
- Not everyone uses proxy bidding properly.
- No one will have a chance to counter your bid.
  - Sometimes, people don't pay attention at the last moment, so you can
    slip a bid in.
  - If you put a very late bid in, no one will find out you've got the
    high bid until the auction closes.

I don't see the relevance of the first two, but I think both partss of
the third are spot-on. However, I think the monetary difference is
negligible.

Adam

bwappo@ee.net