 Off-Topic / Debate / 503
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:43:27 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:
James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:

community more than outweighs the (contestable) detriment of using an outside
auction service.  Actually, it would be more than an inclination - I am

I'm snipping everything else because for this post at least I want to
focus on this thought that using an outside service is even possibly
detrimental to the community.

Sorry to be blunt, but do you know what the hell you're talking about
when it comes to running a sale or auction?  I'll take my lashes if
you've run a dozen or so multi-set auctions or a few 10,000 piece
parts auctions, but I don't remember you doing it.

You're right, I haven't.  To-date, I've done nothing more complicated than a
straight sale.  I am gearing up for a small set auction, and am considering if
the amount of work that would go into a parts auction is worth it to me.
I am aware that it is literally hours of thankless, boring and relatively
pointless work.

That having been said, what am I and others supposed to do when we
have something to sell and we don't want to devote hours every day to
updating web pages, sending out e-mail, yada, yada, yada?

You use e-bay, and to h#!! with people like me.  And I'm absolutely serious.
My opinion should mean jack squat when it comes to how you choose to spend your
time.  I apologize if it came across that way.

<snipped most of explanation>

Honestly don't mean to sound mean here, but I'm so sick of people who
haven't spent days and weeks sorting out all this stuff by hand
badmouthing a way that lets other people spend 10 minutes on the front
end setting it up, then 2 minutes at the end sending an e-mail
message.

That's fine.  But I feel I should point out two things:
1: this is the first time the 'time & effort' has even been mentioned on this
thread, so I had no way of knowing that e-bay is easier on the seller (although
I had assumed that it was)
2: Simply because I haven't done the work doesn't mean I don't know what is
involved, and either way, it doesn't make my opinion less valid, but it is just
that.  An opinion.

I tell you what, and this is a blanket offer to ANYONE.  You come up
with an internal way for me to run my parts auctions that have these
features:
<snipped desired features>

You, or anyone else do that or something close, with the setup section
being probably a little more important than some of the rest, and I'll
give you a reasonable percentage of the total.  Screw 2%, 5% would be
easy, maybe more.

If I were able to, I would.  But I can't so the point is moot.  And as you
pointed out, Todd is doing it.

James
http://www/shades-of-night.com/lego/