 Off-Topic / Debate / 519
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:17:37 GMT

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:28:01 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
http://www.the-oracle.com/main.html

Oh, MAN.  That is Evil Incarnate.

Yeah, in a way it is.  The sad thing is, I almost bought it a while
back just because I liked the thought of having a little window open
with all the auctions I was watching that is updated on a regular
basis.  The sniping function wouldn't be THAT useful to a cheap
bastard like me mainly because most items go for more than I'd pay
anyway, but it would be neat to try it once or twice.

But the idea with computerized sniping is you can fire off a low bid
late enough in the game, that no one will be able to react in time (even
another computer -- it won't be informed of the change soon enough).

If the item is already bidded past your max, you lose (which would have
happened anyway).

But since you didn't submit your bid earlier, no one else knows what the
item might be worth (to you), so there's a better chance that no one
else will have previously upped the bid.  And so you get a shot at it
that no one can counter.

Steve