 Off-Topic / Debate / 520
Re: shills on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:29:29 GMT

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:43:39 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Christopher Good <cbgood@nospamemail.com> wrote:
Yes it does.  I was researching a seller's previous items sold and
noticed once that the seller was also the high bidder on an item.  I
questioned the seller and his reply was that a friend without Internet
access wanted the item so he placed the bid for him.  Excuses...
excuses...

If he was the high bidder what difference does it make?  It was his
set, and he was the high bidder.  He still had to pay the eBay fee, I
bet, so if he did sell it to his offline friend things worked the same
as if he had sold it to the second highest bidder, right?

Because adding bids increases demand for the item.  So any bidding
activity from the seller is suspect.  It's a matter of trust.

I have a friend who sells at craft fairs.  She reports that the thing
that increases her sales volume is to have people looking at her stuff.
When no one is looking, other people pass by.  I'm guessing this happens
because there's a subconsious trigger going on.  Our brain notices that
other people are doing something, and we get interested.  Like two small
kids who both ignore a toy, until one of them picks it up.  Suddenly,
both want the toy, they're fighting over it, and neither will be happy
unless they have possession of the previously ignored item.  Which is
actually a pretty good analogy of bidding wars, I think.  At least some
of them.  Oh, well, enough rambling and ranting.

You seem to have quite the mad-on for eBay.  I have to say that this
example YOU cite above sounds like it is a) perfectly innnocent and b)
none of your business (even if it weren't innocent).

I'd say the presumed innocence of the example depends entirely on who
the seller is and what the bidder knows about them.  If I was the
bidder, and the seller was someone I knew from RTL and/or Lugnet, I'd
have no problem.

Steve