 Off-Topic / Debate / 493
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:04:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Adam Yulish <bwappo@ee.net> wrote:
<Adam digresses for a moment> Are you serious? The 6807 is worth *that*
*much*? It doesn't even have any unique pieces! <sigh> Stuff like that
drives me nuts. That one also goes in the list of stuff beyond my
comprehension, but hey, if the shoe fits.... <end of digression>

That just demonstrates the level of insanity some completists can
achieve.  :)

Although in this case, completism was 100% of the motivation, it's not
always about completism.  For example, Suz and I were bidding on an
extremely rare old '75 Wild West set,

in an auction Matt Chiles held about a year ago.  The set was unopened and
therefore all of the pieces were mint.  All we wanted out of it was one
piece.  We joined in the bidding when it was at about US$165 for the set.

What's unique about this set is that (to the best of my knowledge) it is the
only set ever produced by LEGO which contained a white minifig granny
hairpiece.  I think we finally bowed out of the bidding at US$950, crossing
our fingers that it might appear again someday.

Had we won the set, we would have resold the remainder of the set via
auction (noting it as missing the hairpiece, of course) in order to recover
as much of the cost as possible.

There was so much awareness about that set afterwards, BTW, that someone in
the Netherlands uncovered another copy, also unopened.  He had trouble
selling it for anywhere near US$950 because the one person who wanted it no
matter the cost (a guy in the Midwest who collects two copies every LEGO
product ever made) didn't want to pay that much for a second copy.  I think
we bought it for US$220.

It's impossible to pin a fair market value on something that rare...
I don't feel we ripped the seller off by paying US$220 for the set -- he was
happy to sell it for that price, and I believe he also was well aware of
Matt's earlier auction.

To some a set is worth the some of its parts.  To others the set as an
entity has value that far outweighs the sum of its parts.

I fall into one of those groups.  :)

Me too.  But I probably flip-flop between both groups, depending on what the
item is.

--Todd