 Off-Topic / Debate / 426
Re: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:42:31 GMT

Jesse Long wrote:

One point of interest in your message--you called eBay another layer that
just takes money out of the Lego communnity.  I don't know about all of you,
but I don't consider eBay a part of the Lego community, nor do I consider
most of the sellers and buyers part of the Lego community.  Especially the
sellers.  All they want is the money.  They don't care about Lego, and I'm
getting tired of all these random messages on RTL from people who never post
saying "I've got such and such on eBay."  Also, you rarely see RTL/Lugnet
people bidding on that stuff.  eBay is not the Lego community if you ask me.

Mostly agree but I would count Rob Farver, Adam Yulish, Julie K and
several others (yes, even Mike Stanley, that no account scoundrel! :-) )
as part of our gang.

Consider them the exceptions that prove the rule as most sellers are
not.

However, given that I have of late been winning about 20% of the
auctions I participate in, I guess I'm not as anti eBay as I was. Hey, I
even tried to buy some of their stock, but I couldn't margin it so I
decided not to.

++Lar