 Off-Topic / Debate / 449
448  |  450
Subject:
shills on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:34:51 GMT

me about lugnet auctions, where everything is controlled totally be the
seller is - what's to stop a seller from just making up fictitious buyers
s/he can quote to drive the price up higher? How can I, as a buyer, know

I have a question about this.  Is using a shill illegal, or just evil?

I think it depends on the auction format and location, but for the most
part I believe it falls into the "just evil" category. For those of you
that didn't know, if you run an eBay auction without a reserve price,
you *are* allowed to bid on your own auction once. Now, I can't imagine
any seller who would (in my not-so-humble opinion) be insane enough to
insult his/her buyers by doing that kind of evil instead of using a
reserve price auction, but then my opinions and sanity never really
matched up very well. :)

Adam

bwappo@ee.net