 Off-Topic / Debate / 467
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:52:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, simon.robinson@sdxplc.com (Simon Robinson)
writes:
Well perhaps it's just me being suspicious because I'm new to all this
and not really used to internet auctions yet, but one thing that does worry
me about lugnet auctions, where everything is controlled totally be the
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(not a flame, just a comment)  Please be careful about the phrase "lugnet
auctions" -- I think what you really meant here is "auctions conducted in
the lugnet.market.auction newsgroup."

"LUGNET auctions" don't yet exist, but will later.

seller is - what's to stop a seller from just making up fictitious buyers
s/he can quote to drive the price up higher?

Strictly speaking, nothing.  When auctions are conducted as ASCII news
articles and mailings (rather than a server that tracks people and their
bids) you have to trust the seller (or write the other bidders if you're
suspicious).

How can I, as a buyer, know
that all the bids I'm competing against are genuine if all I get is an
email from the seller saying so-and-so bids this?

IMHO, sellers should require that their bidders disclose their real name
(and not use aliases) so that you and other bidders can recognize the names
of the bidders and contact them if you have doubts.

--Todd

Sorry - I guess this is probably something that's been discussed before -
but I'm new here so be patient with me :)

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com