 Off-Topic / Debate / 466
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 02:40:47 GMT

At 02:32 AM 2/11/99 +0000, Todd wrote:
Early LEGO Town and Castle sets were incredible, for example, and TLG
created these without any competition from imitation brands like Tyco and
MegaBloks (AFAIK).

Right, but a TLG consumer affairs rep gave me the insight that the market
has changed since then.  The rep tells me today's child market is
different, and she sees the definite change (though convenienlty doesn't
call it a 'decline') in the product line.  The kids today want to build
things faster, because of the (IMO negative) influence TV, video games, and
computer games have had on them.  Its much more sped up than even 5 years
ago.  The desire to build things faster influences TLG to build crappy
large pieces to replace individual bricks.  Also, kids aren't as creative
since the creativity is given to them in the form of TV, video games and
comp games..

It sucks, but that seems to be a good explanation for the decline in TLG
and the reason for people turning to clones...

When TLG's competition puts out poor-quality stuff that people actually go
and buy, I believe it hurts TLG -- or at least it fails to push TLG's
envelope.  What's worse, these lesser-quality toys by TLG's competitors cost
significantly less, putting pressure on TLG to lower prices, which hurts
them as well.

True.

I actually think the current set designers at TLG could learn
something from MegaBloks. I noticed they had a model of a big racing boat
with a hull constructed out of 2Xn bricks.  What a concept.  Granted, • lots of
MB stuff is poor, too (like the bricks themselves).

But aren't they just moving in on territory that TLG abandoned?  TLG showed
boats like that as alternative models in late 70's Universal Building Sets
and in Idea Books...

Another good insight.  They aren't original, but follow TLG's footsteps,
since TLG has already proven the market.  At least a lot isn't original,
but some has gone where TLG hasn't, like a military theme.  That would be a
really cool theme for TLG to get into...

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

New Lugnet Newsgroup?  lugnet.off-topic.timmy.die.die.die ??

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m