 Off-Topic / Debate / 465
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:41:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, bwappo@ee.net (Adam Yulish) writes:
[...]
In addition, lego commerce happens on two levels: buying/selling, and
trading. No matter how high or how low the "actual" prices for sets may
go, the level of trading will remain the same. Set prices could inflate
to 200%, and the trading field stays level. If people were just
interested in one theme, then things would be unreasonably imbalanced
between themes, but there are way too many people into lego to worry
about theme inbalance. RTL/Lugnet and the Internet as a whole has long
since surpassed the prerequisite critical mass necessary for theme
balance.

I wonder if there are exceptions to this...  Certainly if someone has a
brand new 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress which typically goes for (say) $100-
$150 in auctions, and someone else has a brand new 6980 Galaxy Commander
which typically goes for the same amount (say), then a trade would be
equitable...

But if someone wants to trade a brand new 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress
($35 set from '86) for a brand new 6807 (unnamed $2 European Space set from
'85), then the person giving up the 6074 is getting a great deal while the
person giving up the 6807 is getting ripped off by $50 or $100 (or more).

(OK, well, "ripped off" is relative -- since maybe both people are pleased
with the trade.)

The point is, unless the fair market values of the items being traded are
reasonably equal, a trade really isn't a fair trade; even in pure trading,
the cumulative side-effects of buying/selling/auctioning play a role.

Some additional data:  A couple years ago, someone was kind enough, upon
discovering a previously unknown very small Space set, to offer it to me
before putting it up for auction or soliciting other trade offers.  We'd
done a few trades/sales in the past and trusted each other and I also
happened to have an old set he had on his want list.  I thought his offer
(of granting the right of first refusal) was *extremely* kind, and we worked
out a trade valuing the set at ~$400 US.  I think I paid for in part using
cash or other LEGO sets, including another older Canadian/European-only
Space set.  So basically, in this case, the trade was super-lopsided in
terms of the original prices, but quite fair (I hope) in terms of current
fair market values.  I think we were both very pleased with the trade.

--Todd