 Off-Topic / Debate / 509
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:18:30 GMT

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:26:17 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:

To give an example from experience, one of my friends saw how crazy everyone
was over magic cards when they first came out.  He then went to the local
gaming store, and pre-ordered 6 boxes of cards (not packs, boxes), which was
about half of the incoming order.  Instead of selling them right away for a
quick buck, or holding on to them until a week ago, and retiring ;) he kept
them in his closet "until the time was right"  Unfortunately for him, that was
about the same time that the unlimited run flooded the market, and people
hadn't yet attached ridiculous value to the beta run - he barely made 50 bucks
on each box, which he probably lost to Visa in interest.  Unfortunately for
everybody else, those cards collected dust in a closet while die-hard fans were
dying to get at them.

That's rather sad. A box of Beta currently goes for... $2000, I think.
Possibly more. Arabian Nights go for $4000, which is totally silly - I
calculated once what cards you'd get out of it (pretty good guess, as
in each box you get 120 out of 121 cards of a sheet) - at most $2000
worth.

Buy low, and if you're making _that_ much of a loss anyway, just keep
the damn things.

*shakes head*

Jasper