 Off-Topic / Debate / 442
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:58:43 GMT

I know that.  My point was two-fold.  One was that the system encouraged
waiting until the last minute to knock the other bidder out, instead of
allowing him time to reconsider his 'proxy' - as in the example I stated, where
someone logged 7 new bids in the last hour (or less, probably), trying to 'just
push it' a couple bucks each time, until either they won the set, or they
pushed the price up past what they were willing to go.  The more honest option
would be to bid when you first see it, with your maximum.  E-bay encourages

I agree wholeheartedly with the "more honest" option, but I do so
because it renders someone else's "dishonesty" ineffective. They can
spend all the time and money they want. Against me, it is either enough
or it isn't. No extra money or time is spent on my part. As far as eBay
encouraging this behavior, if you mean their refusal to change their
process, then I agree with that as well.

<snipped an issue that's going to appear later on down>

(to be blunt) why would anyone use it?  As far as I can tell, the only
advantage to using e-bay, either as a buyer, or a seller, is the exposure. • (for
sellers, a greater market, for buyers, greater diversity)

      That "only", for many sellers and buyers, is indeed the sole reason to
use eBay (and other online auction services). Unparalleled exposure.

My rant was meant with the 'Lego' aspects of e-bay in mind.  That exposure, to
an interested community, is provided free on RTL and Lugnet.

I think eBay's extended exposure can go beyond RTL and Lugnet. I'll go
into that in response to your other post.

AFOL=Adult Fan Of Lego

Ahhhh--thanks.

<snipped stuff to be handled in response to the other post>

All e-bay does (especially in the Lego community) is add an extra layer • where
an outsider pulls money out, and provide an interface for speculators to get • at

      I don't consider 2% to be much money to be pulled out, especially when
most bidders are willing to top their bids at the last minute by more
than 2%. Which brings me to my ranting and raving for the evening (hey,

That two percent is two percent going to an organization that doesn't even care
about Lego, and is in it for the profit.  And for 500 items on any given day,
that 2% adds up to a whole bunch of money that just doesn't come back in.

TLG *makes* lego for profit. I don't think that money "going out" or
"coming in" is an issue. Any transaction that is not a direct trade is
based on profit, whether or not eBay has its hands in it. I don't
propone the idea of "lego money" any more than "Shop@Home Shillings" or
"Disney Dollars" (the latter is, unfortunately, a real thing).

<snip>
change in their couch. :) The reason "sniping" has become such an issue
on online auction services is because most bidders are looking to pay
the least amount they can, when that's not the way auctions work for any
online or real-life formats. Bidders aren't honest with themselves about

All real-life formats I have ever seen or participated in are once-twice-sold
type of auctions.  Sniping simply can't happen in that style of auction.

Good point--I didn't state that clearly. "Sniping" happens because many
bidders think that eBay's particular form of auction creates an
advantage for the buyer. This misconception, made possible by buyers who
are not honest with themselves about what they're willing to pay,
falsely differentiates eBay from other online and real-life auctions.
Sniping only effects those who have this misconception.

<snipped reiterative stuff>

Adam

bwappo@ee.net