 Off-Topic / Debate / 484
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:59:42 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:
James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
Selling on e-bay sends Lego out of the community, buying from e-bay brings it
in.  I just treat e-bay like I would any other "external" source of Lego
(retail, garage sale, etc) - something to shop.  I just find that e-bay has a
much higher ratio of 'too much for too little' than other avenues, so very
rarely spend anything there.

I've bought several Lego items through eBay.  Larry says about 20% of
his stuff is coming from eBay.  I know other people, including other
fairly heavy buyers, do the same.

Exactly who gets to decide who is and who isn't part of this community
you're talking about.

Do you feel comfortable telling me and Larry that we're not part of
your community?

Whoa!  Back up a second there!  I neither said nor implied any such thing!

What I _did_ say was that I treat e-bay like I treat a garage sale.  A place to
get Lego.  What I _did_ say was that selling through e-bay takes Lego out of
the community.  What I _did_ say was that this was only a summary of things I'd
said in more detail elsewhere.  If you have a problem with it, why don't you
respond to those posts, instead of flaring up at a 3-line summary of several
detailed and thought out posts!

As far as what I consider to be the "community" it might help if I refered to
it as "the fans of Lego who are on-line and regularly take part in either RTL
or Lugnet, or both."  but community is a lot easier to say.

(Can't believe I'm defending eBay, and I'm not really.  When it comes
right down to it if I see something I want to buy I'll buy it and I
don't really give a damn who likes it or not.  Same with selling.  One
of the main reasons I'm selling that 6274 on eBay is my desire to make
the most money.  No apologies offered.)

None were asked for.

I'm sorry if this sounded harsh, but one sure way to get me PO'd is to accuse
me of saying something I didn't.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/