 Off-Topic / Debate / 471
Re: shills on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:35:57 GMT

<snip>
      I think it depends on the auction format and location, but for the most
part I believe it falls into the "just evil" category. For those of you
that didn't know, if you run an eBay auction without a reserve price,
you *are* allowed to bid on your own auction once. Now, I can't imagine
any seller who would (in my not-so-humble opinion) be insane enough to
insult his/her buyers by doing that kind of evil instead of using a
reserve price auction, but then my opinions and sanity never really
matched up very well. :)

I guess the question there (eBay) is -- if you bid on your own thing on
eBay, does it show up as a bid from you, the seller?

Honestly, I don't know, but I can't imagine it would be any other way.

A seller bidding on his/her own item at eBay shouldn't be evil (still dumb,
maybe, but not evil) -- *if* it's clear to all participants the it is the
seller doing it and not some fictitious bidder.  I guess it should just show
up as though the seller is saying, "Hey, I'm raising the price on this...I
think I set it too low."

<laughing> To me, that's the seller equivalent of the same problem I
have with griping about being outbid at the last minute. Unless some
really unusual circumstance occurs (and I say that to cover the fact
that I can't think of one right now), there's no reason for a seller to
artifically inflate the price of his or her auction after making the
commitment to sell it. The market will take care of it.

Adam

bwappo@ee.net