 Off-Topic / Debate / 470
Re: Good things about E-Bay ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:18:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, ulringmc@email.uc.edu (Michael Ulring) writes:
Lee has beaten me to my two cents, which is to bring up the one easy way
for ebay to escape their reputation of being a sniper haven.  If anyone
else has participated in an Onsale auction they have experienced this
"extension" rule at the end of auctions.  Onsale auctions (from what I
remember - haven't participate since last Fall) do not end until there are
no bids entered for a period of time, usually 5 or ten minutes.  So if
someone bids with 10 seconds left, there is suddenly 5:10 left - and if
that time winds down again but someone places another bid then 5 more
minutes are added.

But is 5-10 minutes really enough time to make a true difference?  What if
you're sleeping, or eating dinner, or in a meeting at work, or really really
constipated?  Or what if you're on a modem and your connection drops a
couple times?

BTW, when eBay first started, it had a 5-minute extension rule.  Have they
actually removed it?  If so, did they say why?

IME, anything less than 12 hours is a recipe for frustration among bidders.

But better yet is some kind of dynamic curve which discourages late bidding
by increasing the minimum-raise amount as time runs out.  This encourages
early bidding rather than late bidding.

Bidding curves should NOT look like this:

     ^                x

     |               .
     |              .
   p |            .
   r |         .
   I |     .
   c |  .
   e |

     +------------------>
            Time

They SHOULD look like this:

     ^          x
     |       .
     |
     |    .
   p |
   r |  .
   I |
   c | .
   e |

            Time

That is, get the price up to its ultimate conclusion point as quickly as
possible so that (a) there is no last-minute frenzy and (b) bidders and
refocus their energies on other items sooner.  The ultimate conclusion point
might even be lower too, which is better for buyers.

--Todd