 Off-Topic / Debate / 408
Re: CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:37:22 GMT

Yes, eBay's style of auctioning is perceived as unfair by many people
(including me). Many other people don't see it as unfair.  The bottom
line seems to be that you can either play by eBay's rules, possibly
hoping for something better; or you can not use eBay.

Yahoo's auction-site has a time-delay rule: the auction doesn't close
until there has been no bid for 5 minutes.  This turns the bid into
something more like a traditional RL/F2F auction, where you've got to be
online to bid, but everyone will have a chance to make their high-bid.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of AFOL's who are not
RTL-aware.  But what may not be so surprising is that many of the
sellers on eBay (definitely not all of them) are not AFOL.  They are
simply sellers of product (sometimes more like scalpers of product).

This has been discussed (and flamed about) at great length.  Some
interesting points, some not so interesting.  Lots of stuff to be found
at deja-news.

Generally, I'd prefer to buy, sell and trade through RTL and lugnet.

Steve

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:20:07 GMT, "James Brown"