 CAD / Development / 134
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:08:23 GMT

Yeah...  I was just being conservative/literal in my interpretation of the
charter for the .cad.dat group.  I think it really should be modified to say
that it's for .DAT files based on LEGO-brand elements only.  (Would this
cause great unrest?  I don't gather that it would.)

You're right -- the unspoken expectation is that this Internet site is for
LEGO-oriented discussion and communication.

The only problem with this for me is that I'm along for the ride because of
the LDraw program and not necessarily for LEGO.  I know they are pretty closly
related now, but that may not be completely true in the future.  James program
is amazing and I'm totally amazed at the work he was able to do in such a
short amount of time.  Who knows where he may have led it if he had more time.

But -- not necessarily to the point that it gets in the way of productive
discussions.  For example, it certainly seems worth tolerating a few threads
discussing an organized effort to codify, say, Lincoln Logs or Anker Stones
in LDraw as long as (a) it doesn't peeve off hardcore LDraw folks and (b)
doesn't clutter up any LEGO-pure libraries or databases.  If people want to
talk about LDraw-ifying other construction toys and doing so furthers the
cause of LDraw and makes LDraw better and more general-purpose, that's
perfectly fine with me because it still arguably helps LDraw in the long-
run, which feeds back into the LEGO hobby.

Hmm, can't find fault with that.  I started this party, but I just realised I
had no idea it would expand into discussing other construction systems ( I
have to admit I didn't even know about the existance of a majority of them ).
What I was interested in was the possiblity of improving LEGOs where TLG had
not thought to do so.  Live and learn.......

Roy