 CAD / Development / 120
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:14:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
lugnet.cad.dat doesn't specifically say that the .DAT files have to be for
true LEGO-brand elements and/or models, but I think there are other places
on the net more appropriate to post or publish non-LEGO-brand-based
creations.

Just my opinion.  (Probably also the 90% majority opinion, however, from the
sound of things, so the charter for lugnet.cad.dat could or possibly should
be updated, since it's probably an unspoken expectation that the group only
be used for data based on real LEGO products and not on clone products.)

I thought the expectation (and specification) was that the newsserver
lugnet.com was to be used for LEGO-oriented discussion and
communication.

Yeah...  I was just being conservative/literal in my interpretation of the
charter for the .cad.dat group.  I think it really should be modified to say
that it's for .DAT files based on LEGO-brand elements only.  (Would this
cause great unrest?  I don't gather that it would.)

You're right -- the unspoken expectation is that this Internet site is for
LEGO-oriented discussion and communication.

But -- not necessarily to the point that it gets in the way of productive
discussions.  For example, it certainly seems worth tolerating a few threads
discussing an organized effort to codify, say, Lincoln Logs or Anker Stones
in LDraw as long as (a) it doesn't peeve off hardcore LDraw folks and (b)
doesn't clutter up any LEGO-pure libraries or databases.  If people want to
talk about LDraw-ifying other construction toys and doing so furthers the
cause of LDraw and makes LDraw better and more general-purpose, that's
perfectly fine with me because it still arguably helps LDraw in the long-
run, which feeds back into the LEGO hobby.

Where it would be talked about is another issue.  :)  Maybe a new group
.off-topic.clone-brands groups would work for this if it got out of hand
(more than a few threads).

The *.off-topic hierarchy is just there because we
occasionally get off-track.

Yup.  :)

--Todd