 CAD / Development / 70
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:30:12 GMT

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:14:18 GMT, "Roy Earls" <brandone@mounet.com>
wrote:

I'm not sure how the best way to broach this subject, but to jump head first
best.

You're a brave man. ;)

First, I have wondered how the community feels about the creation of
non-standard parts.

I think you've gotten a taste of how the community feels.  This has come
up before, with some half-height plates (I think these were Tyco parts,
maybe MegaBloks did them, too).  They were not allowed into a parts
update.

OTOH, if someone started an indepedent site with clone parts (and even
custom parts), I think that would be pretty cool.  I even think it
should there should be a link to it from the JJM.  There's a lot more to
LDraw usage than posting DAT files.  People often use LDraw source to
generate images, and post the images to their website (for one example).

Second and last, does anyone have any idea why TLG has never ( as far as I
know ) introduced such a part.  My own idea is that it may deal with the
moulding process and the amount of resin in such parts.

It's not the resin -- they could use open-top studs to get around this.
Maybe they think the existing parts (1x1 brick with side stud, 1x1 plate
with side loop, etc) are enough.

Steve