 CAD / Development / 59
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 06:40:57 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
I would be more receptive to other brand-name parts than to mangled pieces,
however -- e.g. Tyco and Mega-Bloks, etc.
Is there a way (or rules) to prevent non-TLG parts from creeping into the
official LDraw updates?  That seems like the only practical/logical
danger...any other objections (like mine) would be personal/subjective.

Oh, sure.  All parts that go into the updates go through a peer review
process, then the collection is assembled by Terry for distribution.  Even
assuming the non-Lego parts survive the voting, all that would be needed is
policy on Terry's end to not include them into an official LDraw update.

I don't use LDraw/LEdit enough for my opinion to really count here, but I
know that it would really bother me* to see .DAT files referencing non-TLG
parts posted to the lugnet.cat.dat newsgroup.  People can still do what they
want of course, since the charter for lugnet.cad.dat places no restrictions
on the content of the .DAT files posted to it, but I would hope that people
still have enough respect for LEGO to keep non-TLG parts well-separated,
somehow.

I don't see this as respect for Lego, but rather prejudice towards inferior
brands.  Suppose someone started making DAT files for Tente pieces?  Or even
possibly K'Nex?  (1)  These products are not necessarily inferior to Lego,
just different.  Since LDraw's archetecture doesn't limit which product is
modelled (2), I think that people should not only be free to do what they
want, but also to express how they feel.  Whether or not it happens on LUGNET
is up to you, Todd; but with free Web space available from a dozen sources for
non-Lego parts authors, that's not really an issue.

But non-Lego parts included in an official LDraw parts update?  Nah.  A
non-Lego piece collection would almost certainly require a complete ground-up
parts re-write, and would get in the way of the current Lego parts.

As for someone posting models that reference non-Lego parts:  It would be
pretty silly for someone to do this, because no one else would be able to view
the model without first downloading the parts library.  I say we trounce (3)
the geek if / when it happens.

* I wish that all imitation brands would drop off the face of the earth**,
and I believe that imitation brands such as MegaBloks are just as much
responsible for the decline of LEGO quality as well as price in recent
years.

There is truth in this statement.  However, you can't use competition as an
reason for decreased Lego quality.  That comes from poor planning on TLG's
part.

Wow, I've vented quite a bit!  I'm going to sign off for now, curl up with
Barbara, and watch some B5 and munch the winning Oreo.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Severe example for discussion purposes only; do not take seriously.  :-,
2.  Another big cheer for James Jessiman -- he planned his product well!
3.  I know it's a pretty violent word, but I like it!  :-P