 CAD / Development / 110
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:27:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
[...]
I don't use LDraw/LEdit enough for my opinion to really count here, but I
know that it would really bother me* to see .DAT files referencing non-TLG
parts posted to the lugnet.cat.dat newsgroup.  People can still do what they
want of course, since the charter for lugnet.cad.dat places no restrictions
on the content of the .DAT files posted to it, but I would hope that people
still have enough respect for LEGO to keep non-TLG parts well-separated,
somehow.

I don't see this as respect for Lego, but rather prejudice towards inferior
brands.

It's both.  Not that I'm closed-minded, but I really have a lot of trouble
imagining a competitor ever coming out with a better product in the same
category as LEGO.  And even if one did -- and even if the product were
totally LEGO compatible -- it just wouldn't *be* LEGO, and therefore IMHO it
wouldn't belong alongside anything truly LEGO.

Call me a brand-purist, I guess.  Maybe it comes from playing with LEGO for
over 30 years and always enjoying it.  (And playing with off-brands every
once in a while and very seldom enjoying it.)

Suppose someone started making DAT files for Tente pieces?  Or even
possibly K'Nex?

With respect to the act of creating them?  Or with respect to my opinion on
the appropriateness of posting them here?

If the scope of LDraw (the software package) goes beyond LEGO, more power to
it.  I understand that it's a totally amazing program/system that can model
just about any construction toy (so long as it doesn't have lots of curves,
fur, liquids, or other weird stuff).  What you create with LDraw is your own
business, and you can talk about it all you want here.  Just please take
into consideration the nature of the forum you're posting into if you post
any data files.

lugnet.cad.dat doesn't specifically say that the .DAT files have to be for
true LEGO-brand elements and/or models, but I think there are other places
on the net more appropriate to post or publish non-LEGO-brand-based
creations.

Just my opinion.  (Probably also the 90% majority opinion, however, from the
sound of things, so the charter for lugnet.cad.dat could or possibly should
be updated, since it's probably an unspoken expectation that the group only
be used for data based on real LEGO products and not on clone products.)

These products are not necessarily inferior to Lego, just different.

Agreed!  They are definitely different; it's only my opinion that they're
inferior (I have tried them).  That doesn't make them inferior for real, if
there even is such a thing.

Since LDraw's archetecture doesn't limit which product is
modelled (2), I think that people should not only be free to do what they
want, but also to express how they feel.  Whether or not it happens on LUGNET
is up to you, Todd; but with free Web space available from a dozen sources for
non-Lego parts authors, that's not really an issue.
[...]

It wouldn't bother me if people talked about modelling non-LEGO-brand
entities so long as it furthered the cause of the phenomenon known as LDraw
and didn't get in the way of real LEGO discussions, but I'd be very pleased
never to see the .cad.dat group cluttered up with clone stuff.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking or building with or talking
about clones or other construction systems.  I just have this fear (maybe
unfounded) of non-LEGO stuff accidentally creeping into databases and parts
collections and all that.  Maybe someone forgets to label a new part as non-
LEGO.  Or maybe they model an MOC with 95% real LEGO and 5% clone/MOC bricks
and casual viewers don't know that they cheated.

--Todd