 CAD / Development / 89
Re: Non-TLG Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:42:50 GMT

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:30:12 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:14:18 GMT, "Roy Earls" <brandone@mounet.com>
wrote:

I'm not sure how the best way to broach this subject, but to jump head first
best.

You're a brave man. ;)

First, I have wondered how the community feels about the creation of
non-standard parts.

I think you've gotten a taste of how the community feels.  This has come
up before, with some half-height plates (I think these were Tyco parts,
maybe MegaBloks did them, too).  They were not allowed into a parts
update.

OTOH, if someone started an indepedent site with clone parts (and even
custom parts), I think that would be pretty cool.  I even think it
should there should be a link to it from the JJM.  There's a lot more to
LDraw usage than posting DAT files.  People often use LDraw source to
generate images, and post the images to their website (for one example).

I agree with that.  I would have no objections to linking to custom sites for
non-lego parts. The more the merrier.
I just think that LDraw should remain just that.  Not MBDraw or TDraw. :-)

-- Terry K --