 Off-Topic / Debate / 524
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:52:40 GMT

<F6zL7x.CuM@lugnet.com> <36C2F127.41C6@kali.psyc.virginia.edu>

Steve Jacquot wrote:

That would be "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".  If the
translator
translated "holistic" to Turkish-for-"holy", then you might be better
off to
read the English language originals.

Yes, this one. And yes, he uses the word "holy" for it. Just searched for it and
saw the stupidity. I should admit there is no word that coinsides with
holistic...:-(

Actually, I can read many original English books from other authors, but simply
coulnd't imagine myself trying to solve what the hell is tried to be described
in chapters like the one explaining newly introduced(?) tenses to be used in
coinsidence with time travel... I think I can't read Douglas Adams with my level
of English..:-(

Until this moment I had been entirely unaware of "Starship Titanic".
I'll
have to start combing the local bookstores.  Thanks.

Actually, I've just learned that It's from another novelist, Tery Jones, but
based on a Douglas Adams Game. From the size of the font used for the name
"Douglas Adams" on the cover page, it seems to be something like a marketing
fake. Aanyway, I like it..:)

I've observed (from asides and parenthetical remarks) that these groups
are populated by several Terry Pratchett fans. If you like Douglas
Adams,
chances are pretty good you'll like PTerry (who does to
Swords-and-Sorcery
what Adams did to Sci-Fi).  (Check out alt.fan.pratchett.)
--

Actually, I found his novels somehow similar to style of Boris Vian, in "L'
Ecume Des Jours" (can't find its English name, and the Turkish one is difficult

Selçuk