 Off-Topic / Debate / 404
CFD: e-bay (aka ranting and raving)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:20:07 GMT

Ok, is it just me, or does the e-bay style of auction actually encourage
"unfair"(1) bidding practises?

On about 2/3 of the auctions I've participated in, or followed, there has been
a similar flow to the bids.  Several people bid on it in the first day or so
(sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how popular it is), it reaches a
fairly reasonable price, and sits there, uncontested, until 4-6 hours before
the auction ends.  Several people bid on it in the last few hours, and in some
cases, the last few minutes.  This sometimes pushes the price beyond
reasonable(2), but more often, the 'high bidder' is over-turned on his high bid
by the absolute minimum necessary, before they have a chance to react.  One
(probably extreme) case saw an item jump from 4 bids to 11 bids in the last
hour, all from only 1 bidder.

I can understand, from e-bay's point of view, why they run it like this, but
(to be blunt) why would anyone use it?  As far as I can tell, the only
advantage to using e-bay, either as a buyer, or a seller, is the exposure. (for
sellers, a greater market, for buyers, greater diversity)
As a buyer, I have been frustrated on more than one occaision, by the bidding
practises described above, while refusing to sink to the same level (3), and I
just can't see the point as a seller.  If you're not in it for the best profit,
odds are you aren't trying to sell it over the internet(4), and e-bay doesn't
give you the best chance for profit - a once, twice, sold format does that.
As to the exposure, you're not going to catch very many AFOL's that aren't
aware of RTL & Lugnet - if you're net-aware and an AFOL, they're both pretty
hard to not notice - so why not just advertise there?

All-in-all, e-bay (to me, at least) seems aimed solidly at the marks.  "Hey, I
know, why don't we set up a service on the internet to do something people are
fully capable of doing themselves, if they bother to work a little?  We can
charge people a fee of some kind to use our service, we'll design it in such a
way that it always seems like a bargain, but it will really just add an
unnecessary layer into transactions where we can skim a small amount, and make
a huge profit!  Even better, we'll aim it at the american public, because
they're the market with the largest percentage of non-professionals on the
'net, and thats the kind of people who will fall for this stuff!"

Ok, I got a little sarcastic towards the end there, but my point still stands.
All e-bay does (especially in the Lego community) is add an extra layer where
an outsider pulls money out, and provide an interface for speculators to get at
us.

My call - boycott e-bay!  (unless, of course, you see that really good
deal...)(5)

1: Mu opinion, of course, but one I suspect many here share.

2: reasonable being entirely subjective, of course, but I'm basing my idea of
reasonable on RTL and Lugnet auctions whenever possible

3: maybe that's my problem: too @#$@# moral for my own good. :)

4: feel free to flame - it'll give me an excuse to justify my off-hand comment

5: sarcasm or hypocrisy - you decide ;)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/