 Off-Topic / Debate / *22831 (-100)
  Re: RTL query

(...) That's *a* way. Calling it "best" is a value judgement. Another way is to exclude the noise if it can't behave itself. In my value system that's a lot better. (...) Which authoritarian organization is that? I'm not aware of one. The mere (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: RTL query

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.debate "David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message news:Hoyz39.12rB@lugnet.com... (...) I'll The best way to solve newsgroup Signal to Noise problems is to set a good example and to drown out the noise with good (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Money, but no justice.

(URL) US pays up for fatal Iraq blunders> The US military has paid out $1.5m (£907,000) to Iraqi civilians in response to a wave of negligence and wrongful death claims filed against American soldiers... Families have come forward with accounts of (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Useful idiocy [Re: Bush toppled]

(...) It does when one is a blind supporter of Bush Jr! :) John castigates those who question Bush Jr, but remains silent when the FBI start harassing peace protestors(1) or when Bush Jr pays for people to be boiled alive(2). Who is the real "useful (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A sincere question about the Bible

(...) I may be wrong about this, since I was raised Methodist/Pentacostal, but my understanding of predestination only affected whether you went to heaven or not. In other words, I don't think Calvinism (the origin of predestination) assumes that we (...) (21 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) It's a cookie thing, I think. If you are required to check the TOS every time posting as a member, or required to enter your posting info every time, try resumbitting your posting set up while logged in as a member. James (21 years ago, 23-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote: signed in as a member, you explictly check once in a blue moon) (...) I don't *think* I do, but maybe there are some differences, I'll have to ask Todd. (...) That's really strange because I'm not (...) (21 years ago, 23-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Maybe you use a different web interface than the rest of us do, but I am always signed in as a member, and my posts are not accepted unless I check the box on every post. Your other points are well taken. It seemed from your earlier post that (...) (21 years ago, 23-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) You don't get a pass because you're an "angry young man"... (...) No, I'm telling him to abide by the ToS, and explicitly acknowledge that it applies to him and acknowledge that he erred and wronged EVERYONE, not just Todd, and make up for it (...) (21 years ago, 23-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) (snip) (...) (snip) (...) Okay, Tom, I think I see your point now. Your issue is that the entire exchange took place outside of .debate. So you think that Jon's comment would have been fine in .debate, not not outside of it (where it occured). (...) (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

In lugnet.dear-lego, Nathan Wells wrote a lot which was snipped: (...) I do NOT believe that AFOLS only constitute 5 percent of Lego product sales. This is one statistic that I will never believe. IMO, it is much higher--as high as 15 percent (...) (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Although I think Richard let his anger get the best of him when he made the post in question, I think some of these demands are a bit unreasonable. If he were required to do all these things, you might as well just censor his post because you (...) (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Yeah, those so-'n-so's there in rtlT are just brutal at ripping into you! Hate that place! Dave K (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) With the possible exception of .rtltoronto! - Chris "Oh, you're looking for an argument? This is Abuse. Arguments are the third door on the left." (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Seriously...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote: snip (...) 'Tis a strange day when Tom and I concur on something :) Dave K (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) I don't follow RM from group to group like you may, but his insults SEEM TO ME to be confined to .debate. As you know (or if you don't, it's time to leave, you really are as clueless as RM states), .debate has a different level/tolerance of (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Then there are many people with 'log leashes', which brings bac the idea that we are all on the same playfield--it is not 'biased' towards any particular individual. If everyone has the same 'long leash', then the word 'long' cannot be applied (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:HopMIA.1JF5@lugnet.com... (...) The ToS (...) so I (...) I must confess that I rarely read the parts of ToS that contains rules that apply to conduct and behaviuor (Part 5) as I (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) What I was responding to there was Tom's assertion that Jon be suspended as well. I questioned whether insults were really grounds for reprimand for if they were, RM has been guilty numerous times in the past without consequence (long leash). (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) " Nothing to follow. Jon expressed an opinion, and a rather benign one at that. Is this grounds for banishment? And even if insulting is grounds for banishment, I personally have endured countless personal attacks at the hands of RM; far worse (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) This was exactly my thought. Further, Todd has already established that he is extremely tolerant of disagreements and does not like to police them, I've seen far worse than Jon's message in the past, and as John Neal points out, Richard has (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Of course! What else are we talking about???? JOHN (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) The same goes for Jon. Scott A Have you had a look at Arthurs Seat Yet? (2 URLs) (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

I agree with you totally. This is a minor issue and shouldn't be a cause for so much trouble. Clangador (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) I don't think that Hoppy needs an apologist (especially one named Kooties), for he's usually quite able to defend himself... But I've been here, in o.t.-d, thru most major discussions over the years, and yes, sometimes his passions show thru (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A sincere question about the Bible

(...) I would start with archetypal story of Adam and Eve and "original sin". We are free to choose from good and evil. This is a recurrent theme throughout the OT and NT. The People of God are always given the choice to choose good from evil, and (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Indeed. But one can be both truthful and abusive…. perhaps “tact” & good manners should be a posting requirement? ;) More generally, people who are castigating Richard for breaking the TOS and/or being offensive should think carefully about (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Hear, hear! -Tim (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) Of course! How could I be so forgetful?? Must've been the too much reading I've done here on LUGNET... Anyway, from the DU.com site--top 10 conservative idiots from Monday... " The odor of hypocrisy surrounding George W. Bush grew even more (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  A sincere question about the Bible

Where in the Bible is the notion of free will discussed? I'm not as conversant with the text as I could be, and a friend has asked me where he could find the subject in either Testament. I imagine that the term "free will" doesn't exist in the Bible (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) From the ToS (discussion group section): 5. (do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information of any kind, including without limitation any (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) How does protesting against Bush make you an enemy of democracy? Tim (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) Rats! Can't find the link! Fox News and the Repiublicans were talking about 'staging' the walk in to the chambers a few weeks back. Iirc, they wanted Fox News cameras there 'live' to show this 'spontaneous' event. I'll go see if I can find hte (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) Can this be true? Scott A (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) That statement implies that Bush is a friend of democracy; tell that to those who live under the despots Bush supports! Anyhow, us Brits don't fall for the lie that to protest is somehow "unpatriotic". Also note that: "100,000" is the lower (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:HopF1M.7y8@lugnet.com... Snip (...) neat (...) just (...) it (...) the (...) Well.. I have no interests in either way of WHO is getting banned and WHY.. or not... but if something is (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) How about the exaggerated counts of Iraqis as the statue fell? Enemies of Democracy? When Dubyas administration selectively 'bans' free speech in your own country, sets up 'free speech' zones far away from where Dubya will be, and works out (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) I saw it... I saw the whole thread. When I read Jon's post I thought... "hmm.. Jon's stated what many of us know to be true and put it into one neat package... that's not going to be received well by Richard but I expect just about everyone (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bush toppled

(...) I'm sure the enemies of Democracy will be gratified by the excessive news coverage and exaggerated counts of protesters. Useful idiots, really. I was very entertained by some solicited letters from the Guardian addressed to Bush: (URL) One in (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Bush toppled

Last night in London 100,000 plus protestetsers toppled Bush Jr: (URL) It’s been a strange visit as he has stayed beyond shouting distance of the public; as he may not like what he hears! He even had to cancel a trip to Parliament when it became (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

(...) Nothing to follow. Jon expressed an opinion, and a rather benign one at that. Is this grounds for banishment? And even if insulting is grounds for banishment, I personally have endured countless personal attacks at the hands of RM; far worse (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

You must have skipped the post I saw... He may have been ADDRESSING someone else, but he was insulting Richard. Perhaps you need to follow the thread again. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

(...) I welcome innovations that add to a product. But nothing about this is innovative. It is just going to solidify the myth among American kids that LEGO is a baby toy. Perhaps this is just a ploy to spur us all into a buying frenzy to match our (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

(...) Okaaaay.. that is your twist on it. (Cup is half empty?) Here's my twist: because LEGO/TLG/TLC is focussed on earning money, it now IS earning money again. And this in turn is a positive thing for the future of the company. And if the company (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

(...) There are a few problems with your theories. You yourself make the perfect case. You played with LEGO a generation ago and you came back to it because it was still the same. Lego has of course growen. Growth is good. Sometimes growth equals (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

(...) All I have to say is: I disagree. I will always support LEGO. I supported them through Bionicle and Galidor (ack!) and a little matter of color change won't stop me. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER LEGO!! Lord of the LEGO One Brick to Rule Them All! (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: I swear... (Re: New colors and other info)

(...) See Todd's restrictions placed on Richard. It would seem that you are incorrect. (...) So why are you coming on complaining about how offended you are at how offended they are? Why didn't you send them a private email? As to it being (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: I swear... (Re: New colors and other info)

(...) I don't think I did. (...) That's not what I'm arguing. I am by no means advocating that it alright for everyone to start posting in that manner. What I'm saying is that when it does happen it's a bit pointless having this parade of posters (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

Nathan, your loyalty is admirable and stupid as well. It also has an almost german quality. As a German I appreciate that. But I'm afraid it won't do you any good. LEGO isn't the "let's just produce good toys" family shop anymore, it has become an (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Seriously...

Richard, Until further notice, your posting privileges on LUGNET are limited to the .admin.general group. As I'm sure you are aware, what you posted on the other thread was a clear violation of LUGNET's discussion group ToS. Your opinions about Jon (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Dubya's propaganda machine at work again

(...) Non-sequitur. (...) I take that as the UK PC way of calling him a stupid git? (...) Time to get another joke book-- that one is a wee old. I wonder how many Londoners feel justly represented by his puerile comments? JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: I swear... (Re: New colors and other info)

(...) "Bleating"? Okay, Richard, since I was the first to site the Terms of Use (not "TOS" Terms of Service), did I "bleat"? Feel free to send me email and curse away. :-) (...) You misunderstand the disclaimer. This is a protection device for (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  I swear... (Re: New colors and other info)

(...) While I don't doubt for a second Richard's ability to defend himself, let's have a bit of a rationality check here. First, for all you keyboard lawyers bleating about a breach of the TOS, consider this clause: 4. LUGNET and its owners and/or (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Seriously...

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium." -- Jean Shepherd, "A Christmas Story" (a.k.a. "In God We Trust: All Others (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.

To everyone at LUGNET and LEGO, I want to say this: I was first introduced to LEGO when I was five. My family and I were going on a long road trip and my parents bought me LEGO set #565 5+ Build-N-Store Chest to keep me occupied during the long (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX) !!

  Re: Dubya's propaganda machine at work again

(...) Yeah, and Bush is some sort of intellectual? "Red Ken" is a bit of a character who enjoys playing to the crowd. However, he has been elected to represent the people of London. Who has bush been elected to represent? Scott A PS Bush is now in (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: New colors and other info

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD… lol ¯¯¯...¯¯¯ I feel an internal war a-bruin’ **Revolution, civil war…everyone take sides…Whahahaha** It’s always nice to have things 'shook-up'… And no, I'm not trooling for trouble, it’s jus’ kewl to see (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.castle, lugnet.people)

  Re: Bush's broken propaganda machine?

Originally mentioned here: (URL) "And Afghanistan was about OBL and not about a nice big fat oil pipeline that happens to be there." Not exactly a current piece of information, but it does make you wonder why Shrub is stonewalling all attempts to (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush's broken propaganda machine?

(...) (URL) discussed> this issue. Dave! (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush's broken propaganda machine?

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) Oh wait, thanks to Hoppy... " Why, Mr. President, did you give $43 million in foreign aid to the Taliban in Afghanistan less than six months before 9/11, when you knew they were the most virulent anti-American (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Editorial links

Hold On to Your Humanity: An Open Letter to GIs in Iraq (URL) I am a retired veteran of the army, and my own son is among you, a paratrooper like I was. The changes that are happening to every one of you--some more extreme than others--are changes I (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Information War (was Re: Bush is almost as much of an idiot as is John Neal)

(...) Yes, there is something very wrong here... How the Orwellian White House Continues to Keep the Saddam-9/11 Connection Alive, Even After Bush Debunked the Lie. They Are the Masters of "1984" Double Speak. (URL) In short, Feith is saying no (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Bush's broken propaganda machine?

(...) Quoting the expression that's all the rage here-- "The man is obviously an idiot." If there were some element of truth here, doncha think Dubya and co. would be shouting it from the rooftops? "Looky here--here's the proof that OBL and SH were (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Dubya's propaganda machine at work again

(...) Probably, but it's good for a punchline. Much has already (and not unreasonably) been made of the rhetorical similarity between Dubya's "with-us-or-against-us" drum-beating and the propaganda of 1930's German fascism. If Dubya ever mentions a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Bush's broken propaganda machine?

Seems to me all of the evidence is here showing irrefutable proof that OBL and SH had an intimate relationship. So why wasn't this brought up sooner? Something is very wrong here. (URL) JOHN (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Dubya's propaganda machine at work again

(...) Coincidence. No? (...) The man is obviously an idiot. JOHN (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Dubya's propaganda machine at work again

(URL) choice of words. And, in other (URL). This, from the city that lived through The Blitz! Dave! (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Vive Le Canada!!!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote: <snip> (...) This is the one bit about Canada, at least where I live, that I'm starting to have issues with. When I was oh so much younger than I am today, I'd say to all those whiny people, (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Vive Le Canada!!!

(...) I'll just have to make do with the top-down weather and beach babes. Sigh. Warm isn't cool anymore, but cold is? What is the world coming to? -->Bruce<-- (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Vive Le Canada!!!

(URL) a nice little article, by an American, about Canada. Made me smile :) " Canadians are, as a nation, less religious than we are, according to polls. As a result, Canada's government isn't influenced by large, well-organized religious groups and (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now, you have to read this ! How stupid can one get?

(...) Not even at CSX either... -HRH (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  When the going gets tough...

When the going gets tough... R U N ! Bush to speed up Iraqi handover (URL) laugh, if it was not such a tragedy! Scott A (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Two newsbits on the economy...

The Professor Takes the Gloves Off (URL) Krugman: Also, you might say that Bush has some un-earned credits from the responsibility of his predecessors. In the past, U.S. presidents have always in the end done enough of the right thing so that the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Gore Vidal assesses the damage...

Uncensored Gore (URL) Franklin understood the American people better than the other three. Washington and Jefferson were nobles ? slaveholders and plantation owners. Alexander Hamilton married into a rich and powerful family and joined the upper (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Actually some estimates put the figure around 20 million, counting civilians: (URL) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now, you have to read this ! How stupid can one get?

(...) Not even at Halliburton? Scott A (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Just as those in the USA have forgotten France's role in America gaining independence? The last time I looked the liberation of Europe was a combined effort by ~12 nations. The last time I looked the USA had to be dragged into Europe. D-day (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) You left out "stupid". Scott A (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Indeed, 6+ million war dead. Others: Germany 6.5 million Poland 5 million Japan 2.4 million Yugoslavia 1.7 million France 600,000 Italy 500,000 Romania 500,000 Greece 450,000 Hungary 430,000 UK 350,000 Czechoslovakia 340,000 Austria 374,000 (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now, you have to read this ! How stupid can one get?

(...) Well, John, I wanted to let you know you were wrong. I am sorry if you are not happy with the way things are, but what I see from here is a country destroyed by Americans, a people angry at yours, american soldiers dying because they have no (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Ahhhhh, Stalin, making the world safe from Tyrany! :-) (We would have irradiated Germany in addition to Japan, to answer your question) -->Bruce<-- (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) The Balkans didn't make the list? Some people have short memories. Still, I suppose after several centuries of Europe creating global wars, I have hope that Europe has learned something (now if only Dubya had actually studied in his history (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Thank God the British didn't feel that way. (...) Oh if wishing made it so! Iraq agression was ended in the first gulf war. What agression was there this time? Anyway, think that's been said before. Sr. was a far better leader than his son. (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Yeah, but in fairness -- until Japan came after us, the war was someone else's problem. Harvey correctly identifies our psycho foreign entanglements as THEE huge problem for the U.S. -- I certainly doubt the average U.S. citizen understands (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) How does one respond to this without starting a flame war... It was the Allies who 'won the war' and 'liberated Europe'. As for the rebuilding, didn't the allied nations all contribute? And wasn't it a good thing that they did? I think I may (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Indeed. How can something that has never yet existed be threatened? Today, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, there is and has been more people fighting than at the height of World War II. Of course I forget that the handful of affluent nations that (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Or not. Pedro (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

(...) Actually, Europe probably remembers American WWII veterans with great fondness and gratitude. However, Europe correctly identifies Lt. George W. Bush (during the brief, non-AWOL period of his service) as a warmongering frat-boy imperialist (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?

Those same Europeans also forgot who liberated their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents during WWII. They also forgot who rebuilt France, Belgium, West Germany, and Japan as well. -HRH (Wishes the US would withdraw ALL foreign aid and (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Uzbekistan's US funded secret services

(...) Does he mention the US's allies in this; countries like Uzbekistan and Israel? (URL) from the Guardian> Mr Murray (British ambassador to Tashkent) gave a scathing speech condemning the Uzbek human rights record last year, which infuriated (...) (21 years ago, 10-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Delicious!

Well, so far it's the full cloned animal in question: Cloned Food OK by FDA Reuters, 05:50 PM Oct. 30, 2003 PT (URL) I know what you are talking about too, but I think we are still some time away from that. If careful studies reveal that there are (...) (21 years ago, 8-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Delicious!

Who says cloned pig is a clone of a full pig? They've been working on "vat flesh" for some time. If they were going to clone pig meat, it might be more environmentally conscious to just use vats. And after R&D expenses are covered, the meat gets (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Delicious!

(...) I think you have mixed up the idea of cloning with something else. A cloned pig is not some vat of proscuitto flesh that doesn't create waste, rather it is a very close genetic replica of another animal. I think a cloned pig would still (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Not likely to be a popular citation but...

(...) I didn't much agree with the article cited (a bunch of nonsense in my view), but I think I agree with your conclusions. So fine, we identify a host of countries as possible enemies, or as the possible safe harbors of our enemies. So fine, (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Not likely to be a popular citation but...

(URL) has been derided here in the past as has Mr. Hanson. But read it anyway and think about it. This paragraph, in particular, is likely not to be popular with the apologists: "In short, our enemies are ideological fanatics who benefit from (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  A THREAT TO PEACE?

From the (URL) BBC> The EU asked a bunch of people about which countries posed the biggest threat to "World Peace". The following did not score all that well: Israel 59% US 53% North Korea 53% Iran 53% Iraq 52% Afghanistan 50% Pakistan 48% We live (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  [The Economist] Survey: America

The Economist periodically does in depth studies of various topics. In this weeks edition, they have done a series of articles about the United States of America. I found it to be quite interesting reading: (URL) may or may not agree with their (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Rewards for capture of virus writers

(URL) not a big MS fan but hey, nifty. Now if they'd just spend a little more on making their stuff a bit less security flawed in the first place... (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Iraq's alien invaders

(...) All your base are belong to us! Dave K (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Iraq's alien invaders

It gets better: (URL) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact