 Off-Topic / Debate / 22793
Re: Bush toppled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:46:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   Last night in London 100,000 plus protestetsers toppled Bush Jr:

I’m sure the enemies of Democracy will be gratified by the excessive news coverage and exaggerated counts of protesters. Useful idiots, really.

I was very entertained by some solicited letters from the Guardian addressed to Bush:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1087591,00.html

One in particular (from Frederick Forsyth):

Dear Mr President,

Today you arrive in my country for the first state visit by an American president for many decades, and I bid you welcome.

You will find yourself assailed on every hand by some pretty pretentious characters collectively known as the British left. They traditionally believe they have a monopoly on morality and that your recent actions preclude you from the club. You opposed and destroyed the world’s most blood-encrusted dictator. This is quite unforgivable.

I beg you to take no notice. The British left intermittently erupts like a pustule upon the buttock of a rather good country. Seventy years ago it opposed mobilisation against Adolf Hitler and worshipped the other genocide, Josef Stalin.

It has marched for Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Khrushchev, Brezhnev and Andropov. It has slobbered over Ceausescu and Mugabe. It has demonstrated against everything and everyone American for a century. Broadly speaking, it hates your country first, mine second.

Eleven years ago something dreadful happened. Maggie was ousted, Ronald retired, the Berlin wall fell and Gorby abolished communism. All the left’s idols fell and its demons retired. For a decade there was nothing really to hate. But thank the Lord for his limitless mercy. Now they can applaud Saddam, Bin Laden, Kim Jong-Il... and hate a God-fearing Texan. So hallelujah and have a good time.

Frederick Forsyth Novelist

I think there is hope for you all across the pond after all;-)

JOHN