 Off-Topic / Debate / 22785
Re: I swear... (Re: New colors and other info)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 06:46:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   You misunderstand the disclaimer.

I don’t think I did.

See Todd’s restrictions placed on Richard. It would seem that you are incorrect.

   This is a protection device for Lugnet. This does not mean that it is okay to violate the Terms of Use, nor does it mean that those who do aren’t subject to having their posting rights revoked.

That’s not what I’m arguing. I am by no means advocating that it alright for everyone to start posting in that manner. What I’m saying is that when it does happen it’s a bit pointless having this parade of posters coming on complaining about how offended they are. They should be aware that this sort of thing is possible, and just let it go and leave it to the admins to deal with it, or at least if they wish to voice discontent to do so in a private email.

So why are you coming on complaining about how offended you are at how offended they are? Why didn’t you send them a private email?

As to it being pointless, I think it has illustrated what people feel is over the limit.

   Shrug. I see a lot of apologists for Lego, the very thing Richard decries. So should I not be consistent and cite you as an apologist for Richard?

If you wish. I was merely trying to provide a bit of balance. I don’t know Richard from a bar of soap. It just seemed like there’s was a bit of witch-hunting going on and the one who provoked it all got off scott free. This is not to say Richard’s blameless in this, but mere profanity wasn’t the only breach of the tos here.

And I pointed out which was the more serious breach, something you seem to be ignoring. If Todd wants to place restriction’s on Jon, it’s within his power, but I don’t think it is serious enough in itself to warrant such, IMHO.

   Yeah, Jon got in his nasty little dig (accurate to some degree - just as Rihard’s complaints about Lego are accurate to some degree) and Richard fired back with nukes, poison gas, and other Weapons of Mass Destruction in an over-the-top revenge-strike of Mutually Assured Self-Destruction.

Wow. All that. Look, Jon obviously knows Richard’s a somewhat volatile poster, and yet he still chose to post. He must have known what sort of reponse he was going to get - his smug response afterwards confirms this.

Richard is responsible for his own actions. I rather imagine he would agree with that assessment. He knew what he was doing.

I’m certainly not offended by Jon’s post either, from what I know of him in .space he seems like a good guy. I just find it annoying that after the slightest utterance of a profanity (I’m talking generally here, the specific post in question was obviously more than a ‘slight utterance’) the post count goes through the roof and none of it has to do with Lego. Doesn’t anyone have anything better to do than play moral policeman? Leave it to the admins and move on - if you must do something, bring it to the attention of the admins, and move on.

No, you were specifically referencing Richard’s message and those who specifically complained about that message - raising other incidents is neither comparable nor to the point at hand.

Further, I brought it to Richard’s attention so that he would understand that someone who is familiar with him (as much as one can over a message board) feels he passed over the limit, so that he might reconsider his actions.

-->Bruce<--