 Off-Topic / Debate / 22779
22778  |  22780
Subject:
I swear... (Re: New colors and other info)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 02:18:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Soren Roberts wrote:
   I move that Richard recieve a Golden Stalin award, for excellence in furthering the cause of useless whining.

Take care,

Soren

While I don’t doubt for a second Richard’s ability to defend himself, let’s have a bit of a rationality check here.

First, for all you keyboard lawyers bleating about a breach of the TOS, consider this clause:

4. LUGNET and its owners and/or operators do not control or censor content in discussion groups. The LUGNET discussion group server is provided as a “store and forward” mechanism “as is” without filters, which means that you may encounter material which you find offensive. IT IS YOUR SOLE AND INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY TO MONITOR OR FILTER CONTENT TO A LEVEL APPROPRIATE TO YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR FAMILY. If you are under 18 years of age, ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) for permission and/or supervision before using this service and make sure they have read and understood this Terms of Use document.

All the ‘protect the children’ raving is spurious from my reading of this clause. It is neither Lugnet’s nor the posters responsibility to censor post content, it is the responsibility of the parent of the child to monitor what they are reading/accessing on the internet. Certainly self censorship is common sense and the normal ‘rules’ of polite conversation apply, but Richard’s post hardly warrants the amount of handwringing that has resulted from it, and if you have actually read the TOS all I can say is, you were warned you might read that sort of thing and you accepted that when you signed on.

Next, consider the clause that has apparently been breached:

(do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national, or international law.

Certainly Richard’s post could be considered abusive, but only in the sense that some people consider cussing to be abusive (personally I consider it more like punctuation), but frankly, Jon deserved it with his snide little defamotary post that is at least as much a breach of the TOS as the response it generated, yet there was not a single post chastising him for that (ok I guess Eric’s could almost count). Apparently only swearing draws out the choir, and to be blunt, the stream of posts that every little cuss word generates is far more tiresome that the cussing itself.

Finally, consider clause 12.

(do not) Stray hopelessly off-topic without moving the discussion to a more appropriate location. (There is a fair amount of leeway here, since it is natural for discussions to drift, and moving a discussion can sometimes be inconvenient or difficult. If in doubt, appeal to common sense.)

I would suggest that Jon’s post is in breach of this clause in addition to clause 5, arguably as is every post following it (including this one), unless you count this as ‘other info’.

I guess I’m making a few enemies with this post ..shrug.. My fundamental point is if someone came into a public forum making comments about me as Jon did about Richard I’d be inclined to respond in a similar fashion that Richard did.

Cheers,

Allister