 Off-Topic / Debate / 22822
Re: Seriously...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:43:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

   I don’t follow RM from group to group like you may, but his insults SEEM TO ME to be confined to .debate. As you know (or if you don’t, it’s time to leave, you really are as clueless as RM states), .debate has a different level/tolerance of “abuse” than any other part of Lugnet. There’s a reason posts to .debate do not appear on the front page of news.lugnet.

(snip)

   If RM has been using barbs outside of .debate, I agree. Jon’s comments were more than a “little barb” AFAIAC. He deserves a day or 2 of banishment for making a critique of TLG’s decision a personal attack and egging RM on.

(snip)

Which I have no problem with. I do have a problem with Jon getting absolutely nothing out of this, though. It’s not like it was confined within .debate.

Okay, Tom, I think I see your point now. Your issue is that the entire exchange took place outside of .debate. So you think that Jon’s comment would have been fine in .debate, not not outside of it (where it occured). Of course, the TofU apply to all NGs and so technically, the issue of where anything occurs is moot, but I can understand Todd giving leeway in .debate, where RM is a frequent poster. I think that RM takes full advantage of that leeway, because many of his posts there make Jon’s seem like nothing. I personally have come to expect ad hominems from RM and have learned to let them slide, but a newbie to that group might be surprised by tone of his little excoriations.

In the final analysis, I don’t think Jon was intentionally trolling for frog, but he got a bite and there you go. Had RM not reacted, the comment would have been a throw-away, but just because RM popped a bolt doesn’t change Jon’s post IMO.

JOHN