 Off-Topic / Debate / 22825
Re: Seriously...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:59:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
signed in as a member, you explictly check once in a blue moon)

Maybe you use a different web interface than the rest of us do,

I don't *think* I do, but maybe there are some differences, I'll have to ask
Todd.

but I am always
signed in as a member, and my posts are not accepted unless I check the box on
every post.

That's really strange because I'm not seeing the box at all. I thought it used
to be there but automatically checked. I may be going crazy though, can't rule
that out.

Stuff that's always there and already set the right way sometimes tends to
recede from consciousness and we sort of forget we checked it. That's no excuse,
and you don't get to "check the box with fingers crossed because you don't
really mean it" either.

I'm not sure there IS a good answer to that receding from awareness problem
though. BL requires you to explicitly check each time, it's not prepopulated.
But I suspect it still becomes an automatic thing to check it without really
*internalising* what you are agreeing to again and again.