 Off-Topic / Debate / 22801
Re: Seriously...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:15:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joakim Olsson wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

Snip

I saw it... I saw the whole thread. When I read Jon's post I thought...

"hmm.. Jon's stated what many of us know to be true and put it into one neat
package... that's not going to be received well by Richard but I expect just
about everyone else to nod their heads in agreement".(1)

It wasn't exactly an example of an all sweetness and light post, because it
pointed out unpleasant truths about Richard, but it was in my view within the
bounds of the ToS.

Well.. I have no interests in either way of WHO is getting banned and WHY..
or not... but if something is true or not, regarding someone should not be
an issue of someone is getting banned or not.

From the ToS (discussion group section):

5. (do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous,
defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information of
any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or
encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil
liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national, or international
law.

So yes, whether something is true or not does matter ("libelous" is one of the
banned posting types) in evaluating whether it abides by clause 5.

Can someone get banned for beeing a jerk or being negative? (for bad
language, YES, no question about that..)

You can be (considered by some to be) a jerk and/or negative without being
abusive or threatening or defamatory or vulgar or profane, I expect. Jon had a
negative evaluation of Richard's recent contributions to LUGNET which is "being
negative" but did not in my view (and my view is not the one that matters mind
you) violate 5.

Richard violated at least "abusive", "defamatory", "vulgar" and "profane" in the
original post. Whether it was "threatening" or not is open to interpretation, I
would tend to say not.

Note that with the statement in his "apology" that his email no longer is a way
to reach him, he is, I think, in breech of this clause:

3. (do not) Post anonymously or post any message in which the ‘From:’ header is
not an e-mail address under your control. (Spamblocks are OK, however, so long
as it is possible for a reasonably intelligent human to reconstruct your e-mail
address using clearly documented instructions, which you must include in each
such message.)

The above is all my opinion and not anything official, but you did ask. The ToS
makes excellent reading and the link to it is under every post you read, so I
commend you and all other interested parties to it.

++Lar