 Off-Topic / Debate / 22824
Re: Seriously...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:49:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
Todd has already
demonstrated that these issues will be enforced regardless of Richard's
ability to stay within these bounds in the future.  Besides, we all make
this promise every time we check the "I have carefully read..." checkbox
on the Post form.

While igorance is no excuse of the law, I am at this point convinced that
Richard doesn't really *mean* it when he checks that box (which if you're
signed in as a member, you explictly check once in a blue moon)

Maybe you use a different web interface than the rest of us do, but I am always
signed in as a member, and my posts are not accepted unless I check the box on
every post.

Your other points are well taken.  It seemed from your earlier post that you
expected Richard to recant his opinions, which is an unrealistic expectation for
anyone who has read any of his posts to have.  My main objection was that you
seemed to be setting him up for failure by placing demands on him that he would
never accept.  In my eyes, that wouldn't be fair to him regardless of what other
transgressions he may have had.

Clearly he crossed a line, and an apology is meaningless without the underlying
intent to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

- Chris.