 Off-Topic / Debate / 22821
Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:23:41 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Nathan Wells wrote a lot which was snipped:

   AFOLs make up about 5% percent of all LEGO sales, and even if all the members of LUGNET and FBTB.com combined stop buying LEGO for good it’ll hardly make a dent in LEGO’s sales.

I do NOT believe that AFOLS only constitute 5 percent of Lego product sales. This is one statistic that I will never believe. IMO, it is much higher--as high as 15 percent perhaps, but is difficult or impossible to track properly.

Many AFOLS spend huge sums of money on Lego products every month of every year. With myself as an example, I spent over $900 on retail Lego products last week, about $300 the week before, and about $400 the week before that. My spending on Lego bricks may be insane and extreme, but I am clearly NOT the only one doing such. Of the $900 I spent last week at a single retailer, I wonder if Lego has a way to know that all items were sold to one buyer. It is highly unlikely that it is tracked and I also doubt that the Lego company even cares. Where they got their 5 percent figure I do not know--perhaps based only on direct marketing sales (Lego Shop at Home Service).

I believe that adult Lego buyers constitute a bigger market than the Lego company is prepared to recognize. But I give them credit, they are doing better and better and trying to cater to our needs and I have no doubt someday they will be able to do it right and satisfy almost all of us.

Kevin Salm