 General / 43940
Re: Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:14:03 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Nathan Wells wrote:
   To everyone at LUGNET and LEGO, I want to say this:

I was first introduced to LEGO when I was five. snip

There are a few problems with your theories. You yourself make the perfect case. You played with LEGO a generation ago and you came back to it because it was still the same. Lego has of course growen. Growth is good. Sometimes growth equals change. Sometimes these changes rock sombody’s boat, but because the growth is good the water quickley calms down. This color change is not growth it is change for the sake of change. It’s taking LEGO down a very bad path wich threatens to destroy the very reason you came back. Bioncle is a non sequitur. It is hugely popular, makes a ton of money, but it has not changed the basic brick and it’s had to imagine that years from now a collage graduate will have romantic memories about his Bioncle and head for the attic to drag it out. AFOL’s have in the past been taken for granted, However I thought this was changing. Cornor any marketing executive from any other sector of the market and ask him if he can afford to write off 5% of his rock solid market. He would problably turn green. (True LEGO green not some pastel imitation.) 5% figure comonly thrown around is problably just the tip of the iceburg. It’s the AFOL’s who give the most LEGO gifts to their children, nieces, nephews, grandkids, et cetera. They also encourage their use in an other wise video game world. Gathered together with other 5%’ers in a LEGO train club I have touched thousands and spread the LEGO bug to them. It is because of the 5%’ers that the LEGO advertizing budget is microscopic when compared to that of other toys. In fact the only time I’ve seen them on TV in recent years was for Bioncle... but then we covered that... Change for the sake of change is not good. As seen all over these boards it is not being viewed positivly by over 80% of the 5%’ers.