 Off-Topic / Debate / 22827
Re: A sincere question about the Bible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:26:04 GMT

   That said, there are some Christian traditions that do believe in predestination (ironically, mine is one of them-- Puritans), but if the person is unaware of the future, I guess you could still call it “free will”. Logically you might even have to believe this if you believe in an omniscient God, but I believe that God is outside the bounds of logic (as far as we can understand, anyway) so perhaps not.

I may be wrong about this, since I was raised Methodist/Pentacostal, but my understanding of predestination only affected whether you went to heaven or not. In other words, I don’t think Calvinism (the origin of predestination) assumes that we are automatons controlled by God.

Rather, we are free beings whom God has chosen to take into heaven or not.

Oddly enough, I’m reading a book right now that is about the free will/deterministism argument in science.

-lenny