 Off-Topic / Debate / 22840
Re: A sincere question about the Bible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:52:06 GMT

orrex@excite.com (Dave Schuler) wrote in <Hopn0o.1M3y@lugnet.com>:

Where in the Bible is the notion of free will discussed?  I'm not as
conversant with the text as I could be, and a friend has asked me where
he could find the subject in either Testament.

I imagine that the term "free will" doesn't exist in the Bible per se,
but any pointers to the subject would be much appreciated.

Yep, it's mostly implicit. Apart from the stuff John mentioned, there are
some places where it's pretty clear, like in this combination:

2 Peter 3:9  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some
understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish,
but everyone to come to repentance.

Revelation 3:20* Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my
voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and
he with me.
--
Harro de Jong