 Off-Topic / Debate / 22806
Re: A sincere question about the Bible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:53:08 GMT

   Where in the Bible is the notion of free will discussed? I’m not as conversant with the text as I could be, and a friend has asked me where he could find the subject in either Testament.

I imagine that the term “free will” doesn’t exist in the Bible per se, but any pointers to the subject would be much appreciated.

I would start with archetypal story of Adam and Eve and “original sin”. We are free to choose from good and evil. This is a recurrent theme throughout the OT and NT. The People of God are always given the choice to choose good from evil, and the option to repent when they choose evil.

I don’t know if this is a satisfying answer, but I don’t recall the specific issue of free will in the Bible. It may just be assumed. If we are not free to choose good from evil, then I daresay we are hardly responsible for choosing evil.

That said, there are some Christian traditions that do believe in predestination (ironically, mine is one of them-- Puritans), but if the person is unaware of the future, I guess you could still call it “free will”. Logically you might even have to believe this if you believe in an omniscient God, but I believe that God is outside the bounds of logic (as far as we can understand, anyway) so perhaps not.

It has always been my understanding that we all have been given by God 2 of the greatest gifts one could receive-- life and free will.

HTH,

JOHN