 Off-Topic / Debate / 22738
Re: Not likely to be a popular citation but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:42:35 GMT

   He’s right, they are our enemies, but I’d rather not fight these enemies on their turf, I’d rather we keep to ourselves and let them destroy their own countries without our assistance.

I didn’t much agree with the article cited (a bunch of nonsense in my view), but I think I agree with your conclusions.

So fine, we identify a host of countries as possible enemies, or as the possible safe harbors of our enemies. So fine, let’s not give them any money. So fine, maybe trade embargoes are in the offing.

How would any of this equate to a stated acceptance of Shrub’s foreign policy debacles and multiple acts of aggression? Going further, the editorial practically makes the point that everyone should just shut up and get with the war agenda. Our schizophrenic foreign policy is precisely how we got into this mess. We cannot help prop up these monsters and then pretend we didn’t have a hand in their creation. And seeing as how the primary targets for these wars have so far eluded us, what’s the point in continuing?

Let’s say that I am more than underwhelmed at our successes on the war front. And I do not blame our fighting men and women, but rather their myopic and rabid leaders.

What I’d like to ask you Larry is: how do you arrive at your conclusions given the article cited? In a way, I might have preferred to simply read about your take on the matter, why mess with NRO? Frankly, I saw almost no connection between the article cited and what you were wanting to express yourself.

BTW, I read the Economist stuff from yesterday and I agreed with a lot of it, but perhaps not some of the final conclusions. I don’t see the U.S. as some big, dopey, religiously fanatical, but ultimately friendly place to put your money. The various articles really soft-pedalled against the coming “lootocracy.” And even previous material in the Economist has done better than that. Ultimately, we have to accept that having a social contract means not the legally engineered exploitation of the many for the benefit of the few, but a true partnership of a kind amongst us all. We can all fail individually or move forward together. Go back and check some of the charts there in those articles, there’s some strange hypocrisy afoot in the U.S. -- Xtians that don’t care if others starve. Like Cain said “Am I my brother’s keeper?” More proof that religion is less about empathy and more about guilt and the need to be pardoned -- act like Cain, get pardoned by Jesus.

There is very much something else going on in the U.S. than is encompassed by the idea of a free market. The Economist has identified some of this as flat at looting before, why quit now?

-- Hop-Frog