 Off-Topic / Debate / 22739
Re: Delicious!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:01:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
   Cloned pig would PROBABLY pollute the world less than a pig farm.

I think you have mixed up the idea of cloning with something else. A cloned pig is not some vat of proscuitto flesh that doesn’t create waste, rather it is a very close genetic replica of another animal. I think a cloned pig would still defecate.

So again I ask: why is cloning better than normal modes of procreation? If the desire is merely for another pig, you can get that by intoducing a female pig to a male pig. I am guessing that what is desired is a very specific pig of very specific properties in its flesh -- a certain taste, a certain ratio of flesh versus fat, etc. But what about generational decay? What about inbred genetic instability?

The thing that makes human beings so successful and robust as a species is endless cross-breeding and variation. Not the reverse.

Besides, even if you wanted to nurture certain characteristics of a particular family of pigs, all you have to do is breed them with stock from another similar family. Where does cloning become an advantage rather than a possible danger?

Now maybe this isn’t the biggest deal in the world, but I still fail to see the need for this particular solution to the probably nonexistent “problem.” And just because you “can” doesn’t mean that you “should” -- there’s still plenty of unanswered questions here. And I don’t see the need to jump to any conclusions when it comes to the things we eat.

-- Hop-Frog