 Off-Topic / Debate / 22740
Re: Delicious!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:59:21 GMT

Who says cloned pig is a clone of a full pig?

They've been working on "vat flesh" for some time.

If they were going to clone pig meat, it might be more environmentally conscious to
just use vats.  And after R&D expenses are covered, the meat gets cheaper over time,
until it is just the creation costs plus a (hopefully) fair profit.  The question
will be, will that end up being cheaper than raising whole animals?  It probably
will be, if we start hitting the meat farms with the costs they should be paying now
- FULL disposal of all waste products, not just dumping into the nearest stream, and
any leakage into streams carrying large penalties (and I mean LARGE).

Do some research on the waste output of a pig farm, you'll see what I mean.

richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
Cloned pig would PROBABLY pollute the world less than a pig farm.

I think you have mixed up the idea of cloning with something else. A cloned pig
is not some vat of proscuitto flesh that doesn't create waste, rather it is a
very close genetic replica of another animal. I think a cloned pig would still
defecate.

So again I ask: why is cloning better than normal modes of procreation? If the
desire is merely for another pig, you can get that by intoducing a female pig to
a male pig.  I am guessing that what is desired is a very specific pig of very
specific properties in its flesh -- a certain taste, a certain ratio of flesh
versus fat, etc. But what about generational decay?  What about inbred genetic
instability?

The thing that makes human beings so successful and robust as a species is
endless cross-breeding and variation. Not the reverse.

Besides, even if you wanted to nurture certain characteristics of a particular
family of pigs, all you have to do is breed them with stock from another similar
family.  Where does cloning become an advantage rather than a possible danger?

Now maybe this isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I still fail to see the
need for this particular solution to the probably nonexistent "problem." And
just because you "can" doesn't mean that you "should" -- there's still plenty of
unanswered questions here. And I don't see the need to jump to any conclusions
when it comes to the things we eat.

-- Hop-Frog

--
Tom Stangl