 Off-Topic / Debate / 22762
22761  |  22763
Subject:
Vive Le Canada!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:22:37 GMT

http://thunderbay.indymedia.org/news/2003/10/9493_comment.php

What a nice little article, by an American, about Canada.  Made me smile :)

"
Canadians are, as a nation, less religious than we are, according to polls. As a
result, Canada's government isn't influenced by large, well-organized religious
groups and thus has more in common with those of Scandinavia than those of the
United States, or, say, Iran. Canada signed the Kyoto global warming treaty,
lets 19-year-olds drink, has more of its population living in urban areas and
accepts more immigrants per capita than the United States. These are all things
we've been told will wreck our society. But I guess Canadians are different,
because theirs seems oddly sound. Like teenagers, we fiercely idolize individual
freedom but really demand that everyone be the same. But the Canadians seem more
adult -- more secure. They aren't afraid of foreigners. They aren't afraid of
homosexuality. Most of all, they're not afraid of each other.
I wonder if America will ever be that cool.
"

Note that I didn't even talk about the gun issues raided in the article :)

Dave K