 Off-Topic / Debate / 22771
22770  |  22772
Subject:
Editorial links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:26:24 GMT

Hold On to Your Humanity: An Open Letter to GIs in Iraq

I am a retired veteran of the army, and my own son is among you, a paratrooper like I was. The changes that are happening to every one of you--some more extreme than others--are changes I know very well. So I’m going to say some things to you straight up in the language to which you are accustomed...

20 Questions for George W. Bush: Americans Must Demand Straight Answers from Their President

edit: the conclusion (do go read the rest yourself):

Mr. President, an activist from India recently spoke eloquently and simply about the painful reality of George W. Bush’s America. He asked:

“Why is it that a candidate in your country is allowed to accept vast sums of money from corporations and multimillionaires as gifts, then once elected president can offer those same companies and individuals generous government contracts, freedom from regulation, and freedom from prosecution for illegal activities? We in India have a name for such dealings. We don’t call such influence pedaling “campaign contributions,” we call it “bribery” and “political corruption.” And in our country leaders who do such things go to jail. In America, such misdeeds go largely unreported, and officials are rewarded with reelection. It is madness and will ruin your country.”

Mr. President, you must stop dodging questions about your actions, and you must stop wrapping your administration in the flag of patriotism, the last refuge of a scoundrel. You must stop spinning lies. You must stop defending graft, influence peddling, war profiteering and the other high crimes of your Vice President, Attorney General, and Secretary of Defense.

Americans must have the truth from you, Mr., President. We deserve it. It is time for you to speak to us directly and with total honesty.

And should you, Mr. President, refuse to tell us the truth, then we must demand your resignation. Failing that, we must ask Congress to go forward with the impeachment of George W. Bush for selling out our nation to multinational corporations, and for committing treason against the Constitution of the United States.

Remember to despise the war but not our war veterans. When our brave men and women come home, embrace them as your countrymen and women. Let’s not duplicate the errors of the Viet Nam war by letting our returning vets suffer and fall through the cracks as before.

Supporting our vets and veteran’s rights is yet another reason to vote for anyone but Shrub next time around.

-- Hop-Frog