 Off-Topic / Debate / 22759
22758  |  22760
Subject:
Two newsbits on the economy...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:27:15 GMT

The Professor Takes the Gloves Off

http://alternet.org/print.html?StoryID=17169

Krugman: Also, you might say that Bush has some un-earned credits from the responsibility of his predecessors. In the past, U.S. presidents have always in the end done enough of the right thing so that the solvency of the government was never at stake. And it comes back to this denial that I talk about. People can’t believe that we’re dealing with something completely different now, but we are.

McNally: Let me get this straight. You’re not saying that we will actually go bankrupt, but that we are too dependent on foreign investors and at some point, they’ll say: “You know what, I’m putting my money elsewhere.”

Krugman: Well, in fact, that does produce something that looks like bankruptcy. When you have a huge debt, not only do you have to pay interest on it, but you have to keep rolling it over. The point comes when investors say: “I don’t trust these Americans. They don’t seem to be responsible.” Then all of a sudden you cannot raise the money to service the debt when it comes due.

edit: before you dismiss the whole piece as nonsense -- The Economist has also subtley been making points very like this for some time. Many may well see the U.S. as simply too prone to risk and corporate looting to be a good investment. It’s not a joke -- we are in *IT* deep!

I didn’t know anything about Krugman before this piece. I mean, I have read his column, agreed with him, and even quoted him here -- but I didn’t fully understand his credentials. What gets me is that I feel almost exactly the same way as he does, and we appear to share ideals and ideas.

My ideal of the free market has been betrayed -- not by the ideal itself, but by the distortions that politics as usual can work upon that ideal. Given the current state of politics, the free market is actually a fiction -- consequently it doesn’t work. I think Krugman found this out too. I think The Economist found it out a while ago, but keeps trying to readdress the fiction to help inform would-be investors. That’s the way I see it.

An Object Lesson in Investing

http://alternet.org/print.html?StoryID=17170

edit: I just thought this was a pretty good description of the game even if the game is not always the case, and even if the details are not 100% perfect. This is still at least 95% reality as is...

-- Hop-Frog