 Off-Topic / Debate / 22749
Re: A THREAT TO PEACE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:41:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   I think I may have mentioned that it wasn’t until the US got “kicked in the teeth” that got them moving on the war cause--It wasn’t Hitler marching into Poland and taking over the entire country that was the “Day that will live in Infamy”, it was 2 years later when a strategic military base was bombed.

Yeah, but in fairness -- until Japan came after us, the war was someone else’s problem.

Thank God the British didn’t feel that way.

Harvey correctly identifies our psycho foreign entanglements as THEE huge problem for the U.S. -- I certainly doubt the average U.S. citizen understands much about foreign affairs and much less about when our affairs are being mishandled by the guy in charge.

On a slightly different but still related note, The Memory Hole has this for more on the rift that may exist between Shrubs Sr. and Jr.: http://www.thememoryhole.org/mil/bushsr-iraq.htm

“In international terms, we tried to establish a model for the use of force. First and foremost was the principle that aggression cannot pay. If we dealt properly with Iraq, that should go a long way toward dissuading future would-be aggressors. We also believed that the U.S. should not go it alone, that a multilateral approach was better. This was, in part, a practical matter. Mounting an effective military counter to Iraq’s invasion required the backing and bases of Saudi Arabia and other Arab states.”

-- Hop-Frog

Oh if wishing made it so! Iraq agression was ended in the first gulf war. What agression was there this time?

Anyway, think that’s been said before. Sr. was a far better leader than his son.

Dave K