 Off-Topic / Debate / *20031 (-100)
  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) I think he's much less dangerous than people like you, John. Because Richard, while often extremely annoying, is more interested in everyone's freedom from oppression. You, however, are one of the most oppressive people in this forum, and if (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement

(...) BuzzFlash asks Greg Palast: "What the Heck is Going on With Tony Blair?" (URL) Tony has figured out a way to shoot down a couple of enemies at once. All politics is local, including international relations. Tony Blair is using the war on (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement

I actually do agree with you on a few points here. I agree that Bush’s diplomacy was imperfect. I, however, believe the other side. I think he spent far too much time in debate and discussion. I have little patience for diplomatic posturing and (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement

(...) Bush's justifications for this war changed almost weekly, it seemed. Now, within the terms of diplomacy, this can be understandable to a point as you may find it advantagous to emphasize different aspects to different people, but it seems more (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  My over-simplification of the anti-war movement

I don’t have the chance to respond with the same level of frequency here on OTD as many of the regulars, so this may sound like a hit and run, as I will voice my opinion and probably not respond to rebuttals in a timely fashion. I, however, desired (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Um hello? "Before" what? 9-11, all the embassy bombings, WTC bombing #1....? (...) Peace?!?! You are the one single-mindedly attacking people for having differing views from you! (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Evidence? Who needs evidence?

"Special Search Operations Yield No Banned Weapons" (URL) the final word of course, but it doesn't speak well of american intelligence sources. Sure is great to mount a war on nothing more than suspicion and impatience. -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Newspeak 2003

"Iraqi ultralights spotted over U.S. troops" (URL) Gen. Victor E. “Gene” Renuart Jr., director of operations for Central Command, was quick to label the bombing as an act of terrorism. “That kind of an activity is a symbol of an organization that is (...) (22 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  My Concession (for John mostly)

The 'Coalition of the willing' is *trying* to 'fight the good fight'--*trying* to stay on the moral high ground. SH, et al, have no such compunction. My point has always been that we don't always follow our ideals when they're "inconvenient". SH, as (...) (22 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Newsbit: Something I Hadn't Noticed About Patriot Act II

"Justice Dept. Drafts Sweeping Expansion of Anti- Terrorism Act" (URL) 501, “Expatriation of Terrorists”: This provision, the drafters say, would establish that an American citizen could be expatriated “if, with the intent to relinquish his (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Newsbits: Defense Contractors and Water Barons

"Advisors of Influence: Nine Members of the Defense Policy Board Have Ties to Defense Contractors" (URL) How elected officials and registered lobbyists apportion your money. This would be why we must fear the military industrial complex (perhaps our (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Frog Apologizes and Shuts Up (at least for now)

(...) Whether any particular person has thick enough skin to not allow rudeness to effect his emotional state doesn't change the rudeness. Richard is traditionally much more clever in his responses to people than he has been in the past weeks when (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) I see no reason why the people of Iraq shouldn't wage war if they feel it's warranted. Even on the US, UK and Australia if they see them as a potential threat sometime in the future. ROSCO (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

But without the war part, right Rosco? -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) to justify war against Saddam - a "nightmare scenario" in which he might eventually pass weapons of mass destruction to terrorists." Now go back and read my last link. ROSCO (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Sounds fair to me. ROSCO (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Newsbits

"First Stop, Iraq" (URL) Saddam. We're taking him out." Those were the words of President George W. Bush, who had poked his head into the office of National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice. It was March 2002, and Rice was meeting with three U.S. (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Conspiracy Theorists Regroup!

(URL) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Your bigotry betrays you... (...) Because of their *own* self-interest. They don't give a rat's patootie about the Iraqi people. What say we let the people of Iraq decide their own destiny. (...) Or we liberate them, and create a valuable ally (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rats Leaving the Sinking Ship (Re: Just Teasing...)

(...) From the same article: "I found his resignation shocking," said one official closely involved in the domestic fight on terror. "And it might reflect a certain frustration over the allocation of resources. But I'm not positive that there's a (...) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Frog Apologizes and Shuts Up (at least for now)

(...) Maybe I'm thicker skinned than most. If we're all adults here, and we behave in an adult fashion in these discussions... I dunno. I never got the 'ignore him 'cause he's no good to this group.' I find that many many posts from Scott Arthur are (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Frog Apologizes and Shuts Up (at least for now)

(...) Hey! You promised not to tell... -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) I don't think I would have been that harsh. After Larry's last post, I had decided to drop it as well, because neither of us are going to move, so why pursue the thread? As it stands, I respectfully object to Larry's assertion that we can (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Frog Apologizes and Shuts Up (at least for now)

(...) You forgot: [X] Biliousness [X] Superfluidity [X] Paraesthesia [X] Vibrato [X] Hysteresis [X] Wanderlustfulness [X] Indivisibility [X] Thirst [X] Inelasticity [X] A Persistent Redness [X] Frumiousness Dave! (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Frog Apologizes and Shuts Up (at least for now)

The Frog's list of sins: [X] ad hominem attacks [X] provocations into 'flame war' [X] rudeness [X] gloating [X] put-downs [X] condescension [X] sly remarks [X] insults [X] sarcasm [X] un-helpful, selfish behavior [X] excessive 'noise' Just remember (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Now *that's* an under-rated album! Dave! (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) What a shock! Larry fails to explain the impossible. His basic assertion as I see it: an organization predicated on keeping the peace is broken when the U.S. cannot dictate to it a U.S. focused agenda from on high. In other words, when the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  J.C. in Iraq (or baiting the republican troll)

'Poised and Ready' The evangelist who called Islam 'wicked' is ready to bring humanitarian aid to Muslims in Iraq. (URL) Hooper, from the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said evangelical groups bent on converting Muslims often go into (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

"Wayne McCaul" <wmccaul@NOSPAMattbi.com> wrote in message (...) neat (...) Agreed, it is one of the best, I read a recent re-release (part of a "science fiction classics" series. Is this the ones where they have battle suits that cause large (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

<snip> You've missed the point. I give up. (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Wayne McCaul writes: <snip> (...) ACC's short story about an officer chasing a runaway on an asteroid--brilliant. THe runaway is running around on the asteroid, and the officer is in a space ship--Clark goes into how the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) News Flash--nothing is perfect. Not to bring religion into it, but we live in a fallen world. Beyond the religions scope, Democracy is the 'lesser of all evils". Heck, you and I don't even live in a pure democratic society, and basically used (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) ...as a %age of GDP? (...) The UN is about bringing nations together; that cannot be achieved by excluding developing countries. (...) Sure, lets rank them by 1. "least countries bombed since 1945". 2. "least times the veto was used" 3. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

(...) Man, I *love* that soundtrack. It was sort of a gateway for me to other ambient-techno stuff. I have the book, but I put it down about a third of the way through it and can't remember what I did with it. Maybe I should try to dig it up - (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) I like hw you extoll the tenants of democracy except where you think it'll work against you. You have *no* faith in your fellow man--if there are all these counties, with equal voice, you think that if a vote came up--"Should Iraq disarm" that (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) This subthread got a start when someone said "if you don't like it (that you inherited a contract), vote with your feet". Perfectly valid statement. What I was trying to point out was that it is not a perfect solution. Life isn't perfect, of (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) OK... one person one vote... that was a proposed metric too. In that case, the US gets what, 10 times the votes that Canada does? And India gets 5 times again since it's 5 times bigger than the US (I didn't look the exact figures up, you get (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) But here's where you're missing the point, Larry--If we use your very own rationale, I'd say that Canada should have 5 votes to your 1, because we're so much better than you--we have (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Is pretty much amazing how this little war has united (most of) the Arab nations in complete and total protest against it. If I were a betting man, I'd say there are probably folks from Saudi Arabia fighting on SH's side--But wait! Aren't the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Thanks for trying to clear this up. Use potential, use probability, whatever you like... what I was trying to convey was the likeliehood that a system of government will be able to continue to deliver (1) higher quality of life, higher (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) <snip> (...) "Perle has been a leading, albeit somewhat free lance, voice in the Bush administration for a war with Iraq. As a campaign adviser, he suggested in 2000 to a Senate committee that Bush would oust Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein if he (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Megan's Law, and its implications

(...) I've been mulling this over, and something just isn't ringing true for me about it. You claim that your home budget is run democratically, but I don't think I can believe that. I gather that you currently have one child, correct? But suppose (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) Oh please, from your own cite I give you: "If terrorists are found, it would be the first proof of a direct link..." In other words, there is no proof, and the whole piece is speculation based on a few threats an Iraqi grunt ('no offense') (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) (URL) which I quote an article that in turn quotes author and intelligence expert James Bamford. "There is a predominant belief in the intelligence community that an invasion of Iraq will cause more terrorism than it will prevent. There is (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

John: I honestly think you may be afflicted by a kind of psychosis. You seem to believe that the U.S.' actions in the world should have no repercussions, whereas I am certain that people around the globe are responding to us with extreme negativity. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message (...) "The Songs of Distant Earth", IMHO one of the best books of all time, if not the best. See also the Mike Oldfield "Soundtrack" of the same title, also amazing. With regard to (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  aljazeera.net [Re: Patriotic Geeks-- Gotta love 'em!]

(...) So much for freedom of speech! Remember it was banned in Bahrain for its “Zionist Bias” [irc]. Al Jazeera.net is not my main news source, but it does provide: 1) an alternative to the USA/UK propaganda 2) an insight into how the conflict is (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) That's BS. Cites, please. Even as you question backpedalling you backpedal! (...) So it is *our* fault, eh? No, we are the radicals' convenient scapegoat, along with Israel, the perpetual Arab scapegoat. (...) Nor am I. Do it yourself. These (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Larry is talking about the probability a country will continue to deliver. I'm not really interested in debating semantics, but potential and probability have different meanings. At least my reference was to the same word. JOHN (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Preexisting when? (...) What? No clever little ad hominem for Tony? Hack. (...) I'll tell you what gives-- what we perceived as the threat to *our* national security was having a madman like Saddam collect WMD who then possibly would pass them (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) John, find me a source citing and proving a preexisting link. I can find you a denial of such a claim on the White House's own webpages (and I have provided that link at least twice in this forum already). Do you have information of value in (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) John, how obtuse can you be? Why backpedal? This was predicted by anyone paying attention. I feel quite sure I myself have voiced this exact fear one way or another. Rummy claimed an "evolving" relationship [note: not necessarily a preexisting (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) My linking was bad before-- based on this: (URL) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) But what if *we* didn't start the war? If Al-Qaeda is in bed with Saddam, we have *every* right to invade Iraq to pursue those who started this thing on 9-11. (...) Time for you wake-up call: (URL) (...) Wake up and smell the mustard gas. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) It's not about me: (URL) it's true, beware of backpedalling Lefties! JOHN (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) On what basis? (URL) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Parental Responsibilites (was: Megan's Law, and its implications)

(...) Clearly we must trod the path of taking kids from their parents very carefully. This certainly is an area we need to work on. Perhaps there are ways to provide the kids with some safety net without removing the parents totally, so the kids can (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) 1. Most warmongers = imperialistic @$$holes (...) 2. White House says no connection, John ::yawn: (...) 3. Was he disarming or gearing up for war? What chance did we give him? Given the context today, I can tell you what I would have been (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Missing Terrorist Link?

(...) Get over yourself -- there is no "I told you so" until this fiasco is over and the contracts have been settled. I was dismayed at the analysis run on BBC's pages today where the basic assertion was that Iraq was a long term investment and was (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) Of course it would be a different kettle of fish-- one is the destruction of public and private property and the other is not. The dirty little secrets are starting to manifest themselves (even to the Left): 1. Most "peace" activists = (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The French Have Gone Too Far

(...) People are idiots--have been, probably always will be--lashing out at stuff that hurts their cause. There are radicals that should really get their heads examined. If they think they're helping their POV by doing stupid, idiotic and, quite (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Parental Responsibilites (was: Megan's Law, and its implications)

(...) Yeah, that's tough. One big problem with this is that the wants of the child will often disagree with the thoughts of society on what should happen. Children, even fairly abused children, usually don't want to be seperated from their parents. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The French Have Gone Too Far

The anti-war hysteria has become absolutely disgusting-- this makes me sick: (URL) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Missing Terrorist Link?

(URL) may be premature to say "I told you so", but this doesn't look good for the case for those who oppose the war. JOHN (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Patriotic Geeks-- Gotta love 'em!

"The FBI was investigating, spokesman Paul Bresson said." Yeah, sure. Where do you think this lies on their priority list? Bruce (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Patriotic Geeks-- Gotta love 'em!

(URL) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: best way to minimise civilian casualties?

(...) Baghdad with the hope of bringing the Republican Guard to action in the open, where it can be devastated by the overwhelming firepower of the American armoured units and air force." Or we could just lure them all out into the desert and drop a (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Parental Responsibilites (was: Megan's Law, and its implications)

(...) I guess we're getting into the nitty gritty details of what is owed. I don't think I'm looking for absolutes (in fact I think I want to avoid them). I think part of what I'm looking for is how do we judge (I think we have to have some basis (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) or (...) she (...) neccessary (...) I don't remember for sure but I don't think she was acquitted. (...) It has happened before. You won't find this in any paper... I know a women who's 70something year old neigbor was sentenced to 25 years in (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Parental Responsibilites (was: Megan's Law, and its implications)

(...) But you're just defining what the parents owe with an absolute dollar value, while I'm not. I think parents owe time and spending power and even a particular style (or one of several, more like) of parenting. But there is no single good that (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) The most damning part of this tale isn't given; was the woman sentenced or acquitted? (...) I appreciate your candor and your understanding of my skepticism. I still have trouble believing that the case could have been gagged or swept under (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: best way to minimise civilian casualties?

I think I heard Rumsfeld was considering using non-lethal chemical weapons. It would be both illegal and rather ironic; but it *may* deliver the desired result with reduced civilian deaths. (...) ... if the letters page is on-line, it is normally (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

(...) Yeah, how Star Trek basically trashed anything 'non-human'--the Q Continuum-supreme beings acting like spoiled children and needing our humanity to temper them--and as you mentioned, the Borg. Even though there are many post-modern references (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Democratic Imperialism?

There has been a lot of talk about post war. I've said I feared we'd lose the peace if we let the UN bloatocrats and the IMF and World Bank do their usual. Ditto if we just put in another strongman and don't reform the society. Kurtz argues that if (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  best way to minimise civilian casualties?

Some pundits have been advocating that the best way to minimise civilian casualties in this war (taking as a given that it has started and that it will be seen through to the end one way or another) is to win quickly even if horrifically... the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

I read "Childhood's End" a few years ago and, I know it was written something like the 50's[1], but the end struck me as completely counter to what I think I was supposed to feel. "Childhoods End" :::SPOILERS WARNING::: It could be a that steady (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

(...) I loved Asimov’s Foundation ‘trilogy’ due to its rather dated version of the future – atomic powered watches come to mind. I had a former-colleague who collected all his books just for the covers [many of them had little relevance to the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire

(...) So as I pick up my very well-read copy of the Foundation Trilogy, and looking at the ripped cover and bike grease (I was biking home from school one day and it slipped outta my hand and right into the bike chain!), I fondly recalled all the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  [brainstormin’] [was Re: Parental Responsibilites (was: Megan's Law, and its implications)]

(...) [brainstormin’] 1. Do think we'd benefit from having more than one debate group? I'm not sure what the best split would be: lugnet.off-topic.deb...nt-affairs lugnet.off-topic.deb...thing-else or lugnet.off-topic.debate.guns (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal

(...) Indeed. But there is enough Scottish blood in Canada to make it almost perfect. ;) (...) ...and how much of your "top quarter" supported a 2nd resolution? How much supports the current illegal conflict in Iraq? (...) Indeed, and it was those (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Basically, I don't care. Still their problem and not mine. I would suggest that they have nothing to live for and might as well risk revolution. I suppose you're going to tell me we should send american boys over there to fight and die for (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) So countries "deliver" "Quality of life" "to their citizens" - very libertarian! ;) Scott A (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: !

Toast: He'll be burning French books next. (...) Shame on them. Scott A (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What to do with the oil, post war

(...) You also have the problem that whoever gets to administer the fund instantly becomes a target for the terrorist organisations who have been left out in the cold. But the best proposal I've seen yet. ROSCO (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Perhaps RM erred in such a large snip, but I immediately took his comment to refer to: (...) which seems to be investigating the potential of a country to deliver [quality of life] to it's citizens, as a metric for superiority. No doubt I'll (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) What if the population is being so wickedly repressed (speak out against me and I'll kill your *entire* family in front of you) that they are afraid to resist? (...) You missed my reference. A man asks Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What to do with the oil, post war

In my view this is a more well thought out proposal than just about any I've seen: (URL) not laying any odds it will actually happen this way. My suspicion is that the UN bloatocrats will get their fingers on most of the revenues instead. (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

Colonial America and the French during WW II were both actively resisting their oppressors. I don's see this in modern day Iraq. Plus, our entrance into WW II was prompted by the agressive acts of two aggressor nations: Germany and Japan. Japan (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Did we deal with that problem *alone*? (...) Good question. At least the *opportunity* can be given. Why storm the beaches at Normandy in WWII? (...) "Who is my neighbor?" JOHN (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) I believe Richard's straw term is the actual equivocation here (particularily when he snips the entire post to which he is responding). Further, Larry never used this word in the first place; is not even synonymous with his intended meaning. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Fine. Their problem to deal with, just as King George was ours. Why should freedom be free for them? Why should freedom be bestowed as a gift rather than taken by revolution? CAN it be bestowed as a gift? Me? I mind my own business. -- (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Forgive me if I stick my nose in for a point of clarification. John, your equivocation (or misprision, if you prefer) hinges on two distinct definitions of potential. In terms of physics, a system has potential energy bound up in the nature of (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...

(...) attacked (...) registered (...) be (...) Oh trust me, if I could find a link I would post it. It was in the local paper about 2 or 3 years ago. I can not claim to remember everything and if you want to analyze it I don't blame you one bit. I (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: (of US vs North Korea) (...) A discussion of quantitative measures of international superiority... this is something I have to participate in! (...) 'More often'? Can you expect to compare morality (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Now might be a good time for you to step back and see where your arguing is taking you, because you have wittingly or no become a useful idiot for some of the most violent and repressive dictators and their regimes the earth has known. JOHN (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  This is odd..."pacifism" takes on a whole new meaning

Not sure this link will work..im a member of nytimes.com post here if ya cant get to it... To business. It seems that even peace protesters sometimes get frustrated. It seems they sometimes realize violence is the best way to get things done. the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Parental Responsibilites (was: Megan's Law, and its implications)

So, have we debated out this topic? I'm getting sick of the pointless debate going on now... Frank (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) You're dodging. You say you reject the notion of moral relativism, right? I'm not talking about EQ characters or size. I'm talking about the metrics we already discussed... morally: which one is on the side of right more often? In which (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) And yet you deleted all the stuff where I disprove this question--it's one of your very own straw men. How can you ask, "Is this superior to that" without qualifications? Canada's geographically bigger than the USA therefore we're superior. Is (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)

(...) Left in because I'm still hoping for a yes/no answer. Just a "yes" or "no" without any qualification or equivocation. (...) Why? If we postulate a yes to the question above, then why should the DPRK be on "on an even playfield with any other (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact