 Off-Topic / Debate / 20001
Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:11:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Wayne McCaul writes:

<snip>

Actually, I think one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read was "The
Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, which I think is actually back in print now.
Sort of a parable for Vietnam - and it has it's fair share of anachronisms
as well. Starts in 1999 on the moon of Pluto, for example, and Earth's
already sent out colony ships by that time. But some of the science is neat
and the changes to Earth's society over time are interesting.

ACC's short story about an officer chasing a runaway on an
asteroid--brilliant.  THe runaway is running around on the asteroid, and the
officer is in a space ship--Clark goes into how the ship can't move around
nearly as well as the guy on the rock--great story.

Of course, nothing beats "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". ;)

-Evil Wayne

You sass that hoopy Ford Prefect?  He's a really cool frood who knows where
his towel is!

Chapter 7 of any of the 4 'original' books--the best read.

(all except for ch 9 of book 3--iirc--"Hello Robot!"  Every time I want to
smile, I just remember Zem and 'volued')

Dave K