 Off-Topic / Debate / 19921
19920  |  19922
Subject:
Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:49:13 GMT

Y'know, I think that some people read things like the "Dune" series, or
Asimov's "Foundation" series as if they were supposed to closely identify
with certain characters and as if that were the point.  To me the point of
these stories is to make thinly veiled attacks on existing governments and
political ideas alive and well on planet earth -- I hope this is actually
obvious to all readers, but I really don't know.  Sometimes one hears people
talk about Dune as if you were supposed to be cheering Paul Atriedes various
efforts -- and I think that's a huge mistake.  Paul, like every leader, is a
kind of monster corrupted by his position and power. His later role as a
desert wanderer is an attack on his earlier career as political leader and
prophet -- that his ambitions were all wrong and deeply misquided.

On a side note, I happened to be watching a series on PBS the other night
called "Queen Victoria's Empire" and boy did it ever run long.  More can be
found here: http://www.pbs.org/empires/victoria/about/series.html
Of particular interest to me were the struggles of the Zulu warriors and the
Al-Mahdi' attack of Khartoum.  These guys had almost nothing, and like say
T.E. Lawrence, won against overwhelming odds using sheer bravery and
uniquely insightful strategies.  Pretty amazing stuff.  The political
division between Disraeli and Gladstone was pointedly reminiscent of the
struggle today between pro-war and anti-war factions of the populace. I
hadn't really considered this time in history in years, possibly not since
high school.  The reminderm, as provided by this series, was refreshing.

What can we learn from these sources of literature and history?  I invite
others to note ideas and quotes worthy of specific attention by other readers.

-- Hop-Frog