 Off-Topic / Debate / 19920
Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:43:36 GMT

So by what rationality would *you* use for saying that some countries are
superior to other countries?

Quality of life that they delliver to their citizens, and, more importantly,
that they're likely to deliver to their citizens in future.

It's not about size, it's not about population, it's not about military
might, it's not about resources, it's about the system of government and the
morals of the people.

I have no qualms at all saying that we are superior to (for example) DPRK,
our people are more free and are able to keep more of what their labor earns
them.

So you couldn't find fault with, then, the idea that Canada is superior to
America, because, as polls show, we have a better quality of life than
America--we were number 1, and are now number 3, after all...

I'm not here (in this thread) to assert that we're the very best. It's just
clear to me that some countries *are* better than others. I gave an example
of a country that's clearly toward the bottom so that there could be no
quibbling about the truth of the assertion that some are better than others,
not because I think we're *just barely* better than the country I cited.

Do you agree that the US is superior to DPRK? I'd like a simple yes or no to
that question, please.

I don't care to debate whether US or CA is currently better unless you're
a) prepared to concede that some countries are better than others, in
contravention to your statement that there is no such possible ranking; and
b) ready to use my metric, or have another one you would use instead that
you can get me to agree is valid; and
c) prepared to discuss how likely it is that " more importantly, that
they're likely to deliver to their citizens in future." is true (the second
part of my metric) about Canada. It's not enough to be ahead at the moment.

But the relative merits of US and Canada are not that important to me,
they're both certainly in the top quarter, if not the top 10% or even the
top 5 countries...