 Off-Topic / Debate / 19999
Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:51:17 GMT

But that's not how it works--everyone, no matter the background, has the
same voice--one person, one vote, or it doesn't work for *all*.

OK... one person one vote... that was a proposed metric too. In that case,
the US gets what, 10 times the votes that Canada does? And India gets 5
times again since it's 5 times bigger than the US (I didn't look the exact
figures up, you get the idea here... quibble about whether it's 5 or 4 as
you like).

As far as funding based voting, what I referred to (as being proposed by
someone else) was not total foreign aid but UN budget contribution.

...as a %age of GDP?

What you're proposing/defending is one nation, one vote. Libya gets an equal
say about human rights as Canada does. Fiji gets an equal say about economic
aid (to Fiji, in some cases) as Australia does.

The UN is about bringing nations together; that cannot be achieved by excluding
developing countries.

The UN is broke. Nations are not equal.

The UN founders recognised that to be so in the Security Council, at least.
Some nations have more of a voice than others do. But they didn't allow for
changes in things, the wrong 5 have vetos now, by just about any metric you
care to name.

Sure, lets rank them by
1. "least countries bombed since 1945".
2. "least times the veto was used"
3. "failure to meet UN obligations"
4. "support for terrorism"
5. "lack of support for ME resolutions"

;)

You continue to insist that all nations are equal or equivalent. Bunk.
Canada SHOULD have more of a voice in things than the DPRK.

They have equal voice; but Canada's is more persuasive. I'm pretty sure all UN
members listen to what both Canada and North Korea have to say, but when it
comes to crunch time - I'm sure more weight would be given to the Canadian
argument.

Scott A